Chapter 10 : A New Year

I sat snugly on the train in my own compartment, insisting to Draco that I like to be left alone. And to be honest, people seeing a lonely slytherin trying to rest sure persuades them to leave you alone. I groaned as I heard the compartment door slide open and close as I saw the bushy haired teen I regretfully thought about all summer.

"Hermoine?"

The teen in question quickly wrapped her arms around my neck, bushy hair getting in my face, causing me to smell her scent. Strawberries, mint and fresh parchment. I hugged her back, one arm around her waist, the other against her back, hand gripping her shoulder.

She sighed. "I've missed you! How was your summer?"

I smiled. "Good. It was good. Hermione?" She hummed. "Um, I've missed you too and all, but my leg is kind of falling asleep here." She quickly pulled away, face beat red from not realizing how long she was holding me hostage. She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and sat down next to me.

I laughed at her demeanor. "I didn't think you would miss me that much."

I quickly noticed her attempt to hide a blush as if something had crossed her mind but she shook it off. "Have you heard about Harry? Completely mental. The Ministry has being completely outrageous and unfair! They tried to say that he was lying about Dementors attacking them. They seem to believe that Dumbledore is after the minister's position which is ridiculous!"

I hummed. "So, not a good summer then?"

She smiled softly as she fidgeted with her hands. "It had its moments. It's been different here. I'm not quite sure how it was in the States but here...well everyone has been on edge. Whether they believe He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named has actually returned or not." 

My heart fell as I remembered what Draco had told me. That he had in fact returned and was looking for recruits and that we would swear in together. I shrugged as I looked at Hermione. "I mean, it's been in the news in the States as well but it hasn't been the top priority. Just something mentioned in passing."

Hermione put her head down and looked at me underneath her eyelids. "Do you believe him?"

"Do you?" I retorted.

"Of course, he's my best friend. So do you?"

"Hermione..." I thought for a moment about whether I should tell her about Draco and what I'm doing for my friend. "I'm not too sure. I don't know much. I don't think he'd go out of his way to lie."

She smiled at that as she eyed me and stood back up. "I best get back to them. If I leave them alone for too long who knows what they'll do." I nodded sadly which she seemed to have noticed as she bent down and hugged me once more. "Meet me once we arrive?" I nodded as she walked off, sending me one last smile. I closed my eyes, leaning my head against the window of the train, falling asleep finally. Before I passed out I swore I could smell strawberries, mint and fresh parchment.

We arrived at the castle grounds finally as Draco grabbed me, pulling me along with him. "Come along, Hexal! Best get there before the first years drool on everything." Crabbe and Goyle followed close behind as I grabbed my bag and followed them off the train and onto the platform. I followed close behind, ignoring the looks I was given until Draco snapped me out of my haze. He was yelling? At Potter. Of course...

"Surprised the Ministry is still letting you walk around free Potter. You better enjoy it while you can. I expect there's a cell in Azkaban with your name on it!" Potter leapt at Draco as he stepped back afraid. Weasly grabbed his friend as Draco found courage once more. "What did I tell ya? A complete nutter!"

"Just stay away from me!" Potter yelled as Draco left and his two 'bright' goonies followed him. I stayed behind and nudged Hermione, causing her to look at me as I mumbled an apology for Draco. She shrugged shaking her head. Weasley tried his best to calm Potter as he sent a glare my way. One I gladly shared.