Chapter 17 : Just Fun Activities

Hey everyone, sorry for the late update. Updates will be late for awhile due to the COVID-19 virus. I'm an essential worker and build medical devices Doctors use on patients for surgeries and soon we will be building tests for the virus as well so it's going to be busy for me. I'm going to try and do my best to get chapters out in a reasonable timely manner so just stick with me. This chapter is a bit shorter than usual but I didn't want to leave you guys hanging for too long. Thank you for all the support and I hope you guys are safe out there!

----------------------------

Hands oiled and greasy, my short hair stained from my dirty hands rubbing through my now messy and erratic hair frustrated. Oil spots on my nose from itching and rubbing. The Nissan GTR being slightly lifted off the ground by a lift that was installed in the middle of the small garage down by the pond. I lifted the last tire off the ground and placed it back where it belonged, socketing the lug nuts onto the rim of the tire to hold in place. I wiped my forehead once more as I walked over to the side of the lift and hit the green button. A loud popping noise was heard as the lift raised the car higher until I could walk underneath. I grabbed a green bucket and brought it underneath the car with me along with a new oil canister and some socket wrenches. 

I heard a soft knock on the garage door and sighed, expecting to turn and see my Mother but instead saw Hermione. Her hair was up in a bun and was wearing a light red plaid button down shirt and tan khakis. She looked at me intrigued. "What are you doing?"

I waved a wrench upwards towards the car. "Rotating the tires and changing the oil."

Hermione crossed her arms and leaned against the garage opening. "You know how to do all that?"

I nodded. "Yeah, my Step-Dad taught me. I could just magic it all finished but I like this way. Actually gives me some skill, not to mention something to pass the time."

She bit her lip as she watched me fiddle with the tools. "Can you show me?"

My head peaked up surprised. "You want me to show you how to change the oil?" She nodded enthusiastically as I motioned her to come over. I instructed her to grab the kitty litter that was in the corner of the garage because we would need it afterwards. She brought it over as I handed her the socket wrench. "See this nut right here?" I pointed upwards to an angled nut as she nodded. "Place the wrench on there and loosen it. Now, it's going to be on there tight so don't be afraid to really crank it but when you get it, loosen the rest of it by hand so the oil doesn't spray on you. It's very hot." She followed my instructions and pushed on the wrench until she heard a pop. Out of instinct, I grabbed her wrist and pulled her hand back away, checking how loose the nut was. 

"Here." I handed her the green bucket. "Hold this underneath and slightly to the left. Now when you slowly loosen the nut with your finger, it'll start to leak out oil a bit. Make sure it lands in the bucket and follow the stream of oil with the bucket." 

Her eyes focused on the nut and her finger as if they were the one. It quickly dropped into the bucket as oil streamed out of the opening. She gripped the bucket with both hands and followed the oil like I instructed. Once the oil was draining straight down, she placed the bucket filled with oil on the ground and looked at me, waiting for more direction. I showed her how to take out the old canister and replace it with the new one and every little trick my Step-Dad passed down to me. After I threw down kitty litter on the exposed oil that was left over on the ground, I led her to the remote control for the lift and let her lower the car back down to the ground. Once it was back on the ground, I opened the hood of the car and pointed to a capped tube. 

"This is where you'll fill the rest of the car with the new oil now that the new canister is in there." I uncapped the oil tube and placed a plastic funnel inside as Hermione poured in the new oil.