the fisher king (part 1)

(y/n, derek, and emily go to jamaica for a vacation and it is quickly interrupted. the case begins.)

"pretty girl, are you excited?" morgan asks me. i could tell that he definitely was just by his voice. i laugh and say, "so. so excited."

derek, emily, and i had planned a vacation for jamaica since the bau had a 'mini spring break', as jj called it. no one was to call for cases—it was meant as free time. derek smiles the infamous derek morgan smile and asks, "is pretty boy coming?"

we approach spencer's desk, finding him as he twiddled his pen and staring off into space. he did this a lot. i sigh and sit on his desk, "no, he doesn't want to."

he stands up and comes towards me, reaching behind me for a pen or something, and as he does, he brushes my waist and quickly grips it to give it a tight squeeze.

he says, "it's not that i don't want to, darling," spencer finally makes eye contact with me and continues, "i need to see my mom." i understood so i didn't try to argue. plus, it had been a while since he'd seen diana.

he kisses my cheek and sits back in his seat, receiving another smile from derek.

after arriving in jamaica with derek and emily—without spencer—i was a bit lost with what to do. they were both dancing and partying with people that they found on vacation as well. i didn't have spencer, so i got a bit bored.

i went back to my hotel room after reading on the beach and decided to call spencer. i smile once he picks up; hearing his voice was nice. "hey, sweetheart," he says tiredly.

i respond, "hey, watcha doing?" he clears his throat and murmured, "i just got to my hotel room. i'm seeing my mom in the morning." we had a small time difference, so it wasn't as late for spencer.

we talked a bit more before we both decided to go to bed. to be honest, it was hard hanging up with him. i didn't know when i'd be able to speak with him next. i just hoped it wouldn't be too long.

derek shakes me awake, "y/n! y/n!" the light from the hotel room blinded me. i swallow the sleep down and scold, "derek, i swear to god, if this is some damn prank-" he goes to my shoes by my luggage in the corner of the room and says, "emily is in jail. come on." i was suddenly awake with wide eyes as i asked, "w- what?"

soon enough, we were at the local jamaican police station. we sat on a bench and i finally take a deep breath, not so worried that we'd die in a car accident from derek's reckless driving.

"okay, i was trying to make sure you didn't kill us in the car. tell me again," i murmured. he looks at me, almost offended that i had tuned him out earlier.

he explains, "they think she murdered someone. they found blood in our hotel leading to her room but she was asleep when they found her." i swallow, "do they know she's with the bureau?" i mean, emily couldn't have possibly killed someone. that was outrageous.

he shakes his head and i say, "well she's being framed. why would we come all the way here just to murder someone?" now that i thought about it, it did make sense. we weren't from here, automatically making us suspicious since someone was killed the night we get here.

i'm almost cut off by my phone ringing. it was hotch. i answer it, "hey hotch, um-" he interrupts with a question, "are you with prentiss?" i stutter at his abruptness and respond, "y- yeah we're at the station. they won't let us in the interrogation room."

he sighs and says, "get in there. you're fbi."

after almost having to break up a fight with morgan and some officer, we made it into the room with emily. on speaker, hotch says, "hello, i'm supervisory special agent aaron hotchner with the behavioral analysis unit for the fbi in quantico, virginia. emily prentiss is on my team, and we have just received the head to your decapitated body delivered to one of our agents through a package in the mail. there is no possible way for your suspect to have murdered the victim and their head shipped all the way into the u.s. and to our office in less than an hour from her hotel room."

after hotch lays it out plain and simple, emily gives the unit chief a snarky smile as the handcuffs come off her wrists. she was obviously agitated and ready to get the hell out. i didn't blame her. to be honest, this vacation didn't seem too good already especially because spencer wasn't here.

hotch was very thorough with his explanation and allowed no time for a debate. we were in the interrogation room a max of two minutes. i was thankful he did this—i didn't want to have to take it to court or anything.

as we leave the pd, emily turns to me and smiles, "wouldn't be the first time i've been in handcuffs."

i couldn't help but laugh and say, "shut it, you murderer. you just woke me up." she smiles sneakily and gets in the car, in hopes derek didn't hear anything.

once we got back after many communication issues between the whole team, we discovered we had a collection of items. jj had received a casing with a rare butterfly; rossi had received the decapitated head that belonged to the body back in jamaica along with a baseball card. hotch had received a phone call saying 'save her' and spencer had gotten a skeleton key at his mother's nursing home. i had a stuffed animal sent to the bau.

we all sat at the round table and tried to find a connection between the items.. if there was one. we were all exhausted so it was just a mixed idea thrown in the coffee-filled air.

spencer walks in frantically, the key in his hand, and garcia follows not too shortly. he makes eye contact with me, giving a simple and sympathetic smile.

garcia starts, "guys." we all turn to her and she stutters, "i- um." she pauses and says, "never mind."
it was obvious that she wasn't telling us something, so hotch says, "garcia, spit it out."

she sighs and quickly rambles, "i was playing this online game and somehow someone got my ip address and was able to hack into the bureau and now they have all of our information."

once we were given an address, we go to the apartment with our guns raised as we expected a suspect to be ready for us. he was ready, but definitely not in the way we anticipated.

once clear, we find our suspect's slain body in the middle of the apartment. he was stabbed with some sort of medieval sword with a clue etched in. of course, spencer being his perfect genius self, has an idea.

"come here, hold this flashlight."

i never questioned him, so i just did as he asked. he hands me a flashlight and places me in front of the window. spencer tells morgan to follow the flashlight as i moved in correlation with the sword.

after quiet rambling and counting to himself, spencer tells morgan to stop his hand on the wall. he taps on the wall, to find the place he stopped at to be hollow. morgan rips the wallpaper down and reveals a box.

emily was still aggravated with the situation so she mumbles under her breath, "is this some indiana jones shit?" i smiled to myself, trying to keep my laugh in.

hotch says, "the youngest holds the key." and turns to spencer, which causes everyone to turn to him—as he held the key. slowly, he puts it in the box.

——
word count - 1398.
a.n. - this is based off of the season 1 finale, "the fisher king"! i didn't add all the details in to keep it shorter, and i changed elle to be emily and took gideon out because i like the season 7 cast better 😭
there will be a part 2 :)