2,788 miles

(spencer and y/n met online. they're finally able to meet once he has a case in her town, but the way they meet isn't exactly how they had planned.)

i never thought this dumb thing would work, but here i am, smiling at a man and our conversation through a fucking screen.

it's almost 10 pm and doctor reid and i-who prefers if i call him spencer, even though i call him doctor reid to make him mad-are still talking about random things.

over the past three months, i've found out a lot about him. he works for the fbi, he is extremely smart-a high iq and an avid reader-and his favorite donuts are chocolate glaze with sprinkles. he sounds perfect.

i think he feared that i could've been cat-fishing him or something could go wrong. he said the last time he experienced anything, it didn't end up very well.

i did a little research on him and everything was legit on the bau's public website. i really wanted to meet him, but he was all the way across the country in virginia.

a new message comes through my phone, goodnight, y/n. with a smiley face. he was kinda bad at using emojis.

there was a slight time difference, and he had to work in the morning, so it was best i didn't try to start up another conversation. i found myself smiling at doctor reid's message, and sent the same back to him.

"what are you smiling at?" my roommate, adeline, asks. she tries to glance at my phone, but i shut it off before she's able to see anything. especially his name at the top of my phone.

"nothing," i say with a smile, but it was pretty obvious. she rolls her eyes and i say, "don't you have a midterm you should be studying for?"

she smiles and responds with a small smirk, "yeah... but i wanna know about you and your little buddy you've got."

"he's not my 'buddy,' and besides, it'll probably never happen, considering he's like three thousand miles away."

"three thousand.. that's what? east coast? i bet he has an accent," she gives me that glance, knowing men with accents were my weakness.

"he lives in virginia, addie. i doubt anything will happen. either way, he's from las vegas so he doesn't have an accent." my smile was practically glued onto my face as i spoke of the doctor.

"oooh, a player."

-

a few months had gone by, and spencer and i only grew closer. i found myself comparing our astrology charts because i was so infatuated with how perfect he was. turns out scorpios are a perfect match for capricorns.

spencer spoke frequently of the cases he had to work on for his job-and it sounded absolutely horrific.

it was my last day of college, so once i was finished, adeline and i went into town for some lunch to celebrate. my phone buzzes and i look down to see spencer had messaged me. of course, i immediately smile without even having to read what he said.

adeline questions, "is that your boyfriend?" i scoff and open his message.

hey, y/n. i know you're having lunch with adeline right now, but i have really big news. do you think i could call you?

i respond with, yeah, of course. is everything alright?

he sends a thumbs up emoji. again, not really good at using emojis.

thankfully, our table was outside so it wasn't too loud. adeline gives me a worried look and i excuse myself, picking up his call.

i almost couldn't concentrate by his voice. id heard it a thousand times but it still made it hard to focus. "we're leaving for a case right now and it's in seattle." i had to pause for a second to realize what was happening.