birthmark

(the team has an odd discussion and everyone finds out about spencer and y/n's relationship in the most unexpected way.)

it was just another paperwork day at the bau, so spencer brings me a coffee. he makes conversation--speaking of what movie he wanted to watch once we got off work.

"y/n, we need to watch a classic, like gone with the wind instead of one of your disney movies. you've made me watch tangled like five times."

"four, boy genius, and because its good. since when do you wanna watch classic romance moves? i tried making you watch titanic and you started pointing out all the errors and listing off conspiracy theories instead of actually paying attention," i roll my eyes with a small laugh.

he smiles at me and morgan walks over with prentiss. "what are you two lovers talking about?" morgan questions. emily has a smile plastered on her face.

spencer and i had been dating for well over a year but didn't tell anyone. we decided that our relationship was to remain professional at work and we felt that if we let everyone know, they'd somehow make it unprofessional—especially derek.

ironically, morgan called us 'lovers' quite often when he would find us alone together. little did he know, he was right.

spencer clears his throat, "we're discussing which movie we should watch tonight." the team did know about our regular movie night which happened every friday night or any chance we could get. it was kind of our excuse to hang out without any suspicion.

he continues, "i want to watch a classic but y/n is stuck on children's films." i scoff.

"spence, we should watch mean girls!" he just stares at me annoyed; i couldn't hold in my laugh.

emily suggests, "watch the notebook."

that was a good classic romance film that i'd seen a ton of times and would probably enjoy with spencer.

"yeah, maybe you'll fall in love like noah and allie," morgan teases. i found it funny that morgan had watched that movie—he didn't seem to be the type that would like rom-coms.

spencer smashes his lips together trying to hide his rosy cheeks. emily mutters under her breath, "rachel mcadams was my first celebrity crush."

now that i thought about it, rachel mcadams did look a bit like jj, so i guess it made sense.

somehow the conversation switched to rachel mcadams' birthmark. spencer began by pointing out the mole that rested on her cheek and started rambling, "moles usually form during certain periods of your life. few people have moles at birth, but most of them develop before the age of 20. the melanocytes that make moles produce pigment, so they can range in different colors depending on the amount of pigment and how deep it is in the skin."

morgan just scoffs at spencer next to me, but i watched him carefully and in pure admiration; i never minded his rambles. to be honest, i thought they were interesting.

he goes again, "on the other hand, birthmarks are when blood vessels don't form correctly and others are caused by overgrowth in cells that create color in the skin. birthmarks are common, in fact, its estimated that more than ten percent of babies have some birthmarks." he pauses and speaks with his hands rapidly as he does so, "in iranian folklore, it is believed that birthmarks occur when a mother touches a specific part of her body during a solar eclipse and others believe its a sign of distressing experiences from a previous life, often death."

"i actually have a birthmark.. its, uh, on my leg," spencer continues, trying to remember where it was. his birthmark wasn't too big but it was a bit noticeable. his gray work pants were covering the mark though.

emily explains how she had one on her neck but got it removed. morgan lifts his shirt to show us the one on his stomach, but it was obvious she just wanted to flex his abs.

it was my turn to share, so i say, "i don't think i have one. is that a good or bad thing?"

spencer answers my question, "no, not technically; birthmarks aren't a good or bad thing, in fact, they're harmless. but, y/n, you do have one. it- it's on your lower back."

i had forgotten i had one there, honestly, but spencer didn't seem to forget. it took him a moment to realize what he said in front of our friends, and whispers, "oh."

——
word count - 757.