and they were roommates

(y/n doesn't know spencer and her have guests.)

[spencer's pov]

y/n couldn't be back already. and the knock on the door definitely didn't mimic her distinctive code that she created. it wasn't unusual for us to have visitors but i did make me wonder who could be over around 4pm. i don't think i invited anyone over for brunch today.

as i get up to answer the door, i notice that y/n had left her phone on the table. and not that i was trying to invade her privacy, but i just happened to look as her phone buzzes. her sister had texted her.

before she left, y/n explained that she was going to see her sister for lunch because it was rare for lucy grace to be in town. however, she was also excited to get home so we could spend some time together since i also had the day off.

y/n and i met in college and we both had the same dreams-to work for the bau. she was two years younger than me, so she was in her senior year. we became friends immediately and decided to get an apartment to make it easier for the both of us. besides, neither of us had family around so it worked out really well.

i open the door cautiously-that was a downside of working with serial killers-only to relax once i realized it was derek and emily.

i let them in and they get comfortable, settling themselves down. they came over often and got to know y/n well. she would sometimes leave when they wanted to come over-y/n always said she didn't want to make it obvious or weird for any of us. but she did like the team and was friends with emily.

we made conversation for about two hours-talking about what everyone had planned for the next day we had off, which was rare, so we treated it like a special occasion.

derek said he wanted to go to a club but needed some friends, hence why he came, even though i quickly refused. emily said the same, but that she also had some business to take care of with some friends from her previous workplace since they were in town. whatever that meant.

"where's y/n, reid?" emily asks, lying back on the couch that y/n picked out. 'it'll look good for my instagram, spence.'

i didn't know where she was, to be honest, i only knew that she was getting lunch with lucy grace. i would call her.. but she left her phone here.

derek looks up as he was digging through our refrigerator for something to eat, "yeah, where's the roommate, pretty boy?" he smirks after.

he sounded as if he doubted mine and y/n's relationship, as if something else was going on.

derek had done this before with us-teasing me about our relationship even though he didn't know much about y/n or what was going on. he did it with other random women too-he didn't think i had much 'game', is what he called it.

i was never really open about my relationships with women to the team, because word would get around to derek and he'd start constantly asking me questions or giving me tips that weren't really needed.

i confront him about it-which was something that i usually wouldn't do, "why did you say it like that? she is my roommate."

emily intervenes, "because. you've been living together for almost three years now and we all know that no one sleeps in that second bedroom."

she did have a point.

the door opens quickly, almost as if y/n had been listening and that was her cue. she didn't notice my teammates in our apartment, so she says, "hey, babe. i got some of your favorite brownie mix while i was out. i figured we could-"

she stops in her tracks as she turns. she clumsily held two brown bags filled with groceries while her eyes darted from derek to emily to me. i could almost see her stomach drop.

"oh shit," is all she says.

her cheeks got red quickly-something i always thought was cute because it was never hard to make her blush. and when she did, she looked like a tomato.

she sets the bags on the counter so i go to her, trying to make it less awkward. she clears her throat, "i- i didn't know you guys were here."

morgan raises an eyebrow. y/n quickly goes around me to occupy herself because i wasn't able to occupy her in that moment like i usually would.

"um, i could fix us all brownies," y/n suggests. emily and derek just watched in awe and had an 'i knew it' look on their faces.

"that would be wonderful," derek says, which made it more awkward if that was even possible.

i couldn't help but smile at her as she became so flustered. emily gets up, taking a seat at one of the barstools at the counter of our kitchen as y/n and i began putting the groceries up. y/n glances and smiles at me before looking down.

i would never live this down.

-
word count - 890.