play fight

(derek and y/n have a play fight and a drunk spencer gets upset.)

"oh, c'mon, pretty boy." derek eggs spencer on. derek had been trying to get him drunk all night and it simply wasn't working. "what? are you scared?"

spencer's voice became high pitched like it usually did when someone made him upset about something he didn't really like or was insecure about. spencer definitely didn't want to drink but he didn't want to look like a 'pussy' according to derek. "n- no! i'm not- scared!" he huffs.

spencer wasn't a heavy drinker even when we'd drag him into bars. i think he only ever tagged along so everyone would share their secrets. and to watch us all dance.

spencer, emily, and i gathered around at derek's apartment for the night, in hopes of having some time together. everyone was off with their families to something special and sweet, so we decided to take this time to spend for ourselves.

spencer was all cuddled up in my lap as we spoke of what to get for dinner. emily suggested thai but all the good restaurants that could deliver were closed. we decided on pizza.

all throughout the night, derek tried getting spencer drunk. i'd only ever seen spencer get drunk a total of four times in the eight years i had known him, and every time, he was a cuddly drunk. he'd be all giggly and touchy and liked falling asleep in people's arms; giving out random hugs—which was also spencer when he was just tired.

after so much persuasion, and emily starting to push drinks closer to him, he finally took a shot. the face he made after—all winced up like he'd eaten something sour—made us all laugh. he takes a deep breath and coughs.

it didn't take long for it to kick in, and soon he was ordering emily to pour him more. his words started slurring and his eyes were hazy, but he never lingered to far from me. like i said, he stayed right up under me during events like this.

emily challenged spencer to a game of baseball on derek's wii. derek and i watched on the couch as he twisted his arm in a weird flinch to score a home run. he scored and shouts in victory, producing loud laughs from everyone.

spencer sits back on the couch and pulls me into his lap, putting his arms around my waist and looking me right in the eyes. he slurs his words again as he speaks, "y/n, you are so beautiful."

he smiles a goofy one as i laughed and i say, "spence, how much have you had to drink?" i had lost count, but i became concerned—i didn't want him getting alcohol poisoning—especially since i'd end up being the one to take him home and help him get over a future hangover.

he shakes his head, "i don't know. would you like some?" i shake my head no; i had one and called it quits. he begins playing with my hair and lies my head in his shoulder, making me cuddle with him. i didn't mind, though.

somehow, the conversation shifted to spencer beginning to spill everyone's secrets. he began with the fact that emily had stolen something and a time when rossi was pulled over for having pot when he was a teenager.

he then began by saying, "derek, remember when you and pen-"

derek shuts him up real quick, "hey, hey. pretty boy, i got you drunk so you'd relax a little, not share everyone's life stories."

spencer gives a weak smile while emily and i giggle. morgan then turns to me and smirks as i say, "mhm, remember when you said you would win in a fight against me? you and rossi bet on it."

"bring it, pretty girl," morgan challenges.

i take a sip of my water, getting up from spencer's lap and walking to the center of derek's apartment to have a 'fight' with him. he knew to go easy on me—i was a lot smaller than the muscle-y man before me.

emily started cheering and spencer sat quietly, observing as morgan swept underneath me and picked me up onto his shoulder. we all erupted into laughter and he slams me into his couch. it didn't hurt, actually, i could see the softness in his eyes as he did so.

spencer didn't like the way it looked, so he stood up quickly and pushed derek's arm away from me. i sat up from the couch as spencer said, "back off, morgan."

"hey, i was just messin' around, kid. she's okay."

"don't touch her like that."

i intervene, pulling spencer's fierce eyes from derek. "hey, hey, i'm alright, we were just joking, spence."

he swallows, turning back to derek with that overpowering look in his eyes. i'd never seen spencer get so angry about someone playing around—never like that. he sets his drink down and goes to the bathroom to cool off.

——
word count — 838.