pool party

(the reid family has some fun at their pool.)

spencer was being obnoxiously loud. he was spending time with ezra and allowed me some free time to catch up in my book-so i didn't really mind that they were both screaming.

they were playing 'catch', somehow mixing a game of 'tag' in there. they chased one another in our backyard while i lied in the hammock-trying to finish my book and also to get some sun since summer had begun two weeks ago.

ezra had just finished kindergarten, and although spencer will deny it until the day he dies, his eyes were fuzzy with tears the whole time we were at our son's graduation. 'he's not so little anymore, y/n' were his exact words.

the two boys disappear for a moment-then little footsteps disappear as ezra went to the front of the house in search of spencer, who was hiding behind a bush that was right next to me.

out of breath, spencer asks, "how's the book going, sweetheart?' his eyes search our property for ezra.

i look up from my book, surrounded by idiots, and to my husband. a slow smile forms on his face and i couldn't help but smile back. even after eight years, he still knew how to make me blush just by looking at me.

"it's really good. he'll never find you there," i laugh and he giggles as ezra comes running back, instead to me this time.

"where'd daddy go?"

"i'm not sure, honey." i lied, trying to help keep spencer's hiding spot a secret. ezra always looked cute when he was confused anyways. he comes running to me and throws himself into the hammock. so much for 'alone time' when you have a five year old.

i point my eyes to the umbrella that brought shade over the pool chairs and table we had next to the pool. spencer demanded we got a pool once we bought our house. i tell ezra, "maybe- maybe he's under the umbrella?"

he gets up from the hammock and runs to the brown umbrella, checking for his father-who was next to me. spencer gives me a smirk and sneaks up behind the boy only to pick ezra up with a little jump.

i smiled at their actions-this was all i could ever ask for.

he sets him down and ezra comes running to me, so i set my book down and embrace him as he lies himself on me; his head resting in my neck just like spencer's always did when he was tired.

"i'm sorry, i'm all sweaty," ezra tells me to which i smile, ruffling my hands through his curly hair that looked exactly like spencer's. if ezra was to take anything from spencer, it would be his hair.. his germaphobia, and apologetic personality for even the simplest of things.

i tell him its alright and he immediately perks up, "mommy, come play with me and daddy."

spencer comes over instead of staring at us with a huge grin, he takes a deep breath and sits at the bottom of the hammock. he swings himself in next to me, causing ezra to giggle at the sudden movement. spencer places himself into the opposite side of my neck and puts his hand around my waist.

"yeah, come play, mommy."

i scoff at his remark and say, "fine, come on, boys."

we all get up and i pick up ezra, despite that he was well over forty pounds. he puts his arms around my neck but not in such a choking type of way. i ran from spencer, who chased us around the backyard, and ezra had the purest of laugh. it made us all laugh even more.

i stop at the edge of the pool as spencer cornered me. in between laughs, i say, "you won't do it, spencer. i swear-" he inches closer, a joker-like smile forming on his face. spencer says, "oh really?"

i turn to ezra in my arms, who was smiling, "ezra, plug your nose." once spencer had seen that ezra had his nose plugged and his eyes shut tight, spencer pushes me into the pool. we fell into the deep end so i held on tight to ezra in my arms. i was thankful i had on a swimsuit; otherwise, i would've been soaked.

after coming up, spencer does too-he jumped in right after we did; and i help move ezra's hair from his face. spencer swims to us and takes him so i say, "no, that's my ezra."

he giggles and spencer says, "no. he's mine. ez, tell mommy to go away." he whispers a cute little, "go away."

i laugh and ezra lets go, swimming to his toys on the other side of the pool. we thought it would be a good idea to get him into swimming lessons during the winter so he'd be good to go before summer started. it was a good idea.

spencer then pulls me to him, pushing my hair away from my face. "i love you, y/n."

"i love you too, but push me in again, and i'll smack you." he smiles and says, "mhm. punish me."

my eyes widens and i laugh. spencer puts his arms around my waist, making mine go to his wet hair as he kissed me a few times.

the gate to our backyard opens and we turn around, automatically thinking someone had broken in or ezra had run out-only to see three people come through.

it was the morgans: derek, savannah, and hank. ezra jumps out of the pool and runs to his best friend, hank, to give him a hug. i smile at the boys and spencer kisses me on the cheek, following ezra.

the boys yell, "pool party!"

--
word count - 977.