remembering the small things (part 1)

(morgan helps spencer prepare to ask y/n on a date. on their date, spencer remembers the small things.)

emily shipped 'moreid'-morgan and reid's ship name according to penelope-and now i understood why. of course, in my delusional brain, i always hoped that one day spencer and i would be "shipped" or end up in a relationship but it was always just a little far-fetched. yet derek and spencer were always so secretive, especially around me.

i was the newest member of the team, automatically making me vulnerable. so i figured they had some inside joke that i didn't know about which would explain why spencer was always red and derek always had giggles stuck in his throat when i was near.. but i had joined the team over a year ago-i think i would've known by now.

as i'm lost in thought staring at the two pouring their coffees in the lounge and speaking ever so sneakily, they both turn to me. derek leans to spencer's ear and whispers something to him.

it was obvious they were talking about me, but about what i didn't know. spencer's cheeks redden and he purses his lips at me, then returns to his coffee and the smiling man next to him.

it appeared as if derek gave him a pep talk over the next few minutes and spencer took deep breaths at his advice. he keeps rambling frantically before he has an idea and scribbles it on a pink sticky note.

i found myself smiling at spencer's actions but there wasn't an exact explanation as to why i was grinning so hard. i guess the confusion and his desire to get it out so quickly made me beam-whatever it was.

he walks up to me, pink sticky note in hand. he smiles back, his cheekbones raising as he laughed at himself. he checks the note once more and then slips it on my desk before going back to his own.

i feel spencer's eyes lingering on me as he sat down-observing as how i read and perceived his letter. it made me feel like a teenager again, you know, passing notes around.

i could barely make out spencer's messy handwriting, but soon enough the words formed into a "meet me outside after work."

-

finally, work was over and i was thankful we didn't have a case, even though i didn't necessarily like doing paperwork all day. it was freezing outside, however, i still waited for spencer instead of just leaving. he seemed excited to talk to me after the whole sticky note incident earlier.

he scurries over to me and we continue walking to my car, stopping once we were before it. he inhales a sharp breath, only to notice morgan watching us from inside the doors of the bau-a big smile constructing his face.

i tilt my head and pout, "ok, spence, are you going to tell me why you've been so secretive around me with morgan?" i push his shoulder jokingly and he responds, "well, y/n, he's been helping me with something."

he pauses and the wind blows, causing me to shiver, which i guess hurried him up a bit. "which is?"

"i, um, i wanted to ask you.. will you- can i take you out for dinner one night?" he almost cringed at his own question as he waited for my response.

my smile enlarged as we both became red, thinking that the darkness would hide it. "like a date?" i ask.

he looks down at his shoes and smashes his lips together in a sort of smile, all while nodding. he looks back up and grins, to which i answer, "yes, of course. i'd love to." i tried not to sound clingy or weird or anything.

i'd only ever admitted that i liked spencer a bit to one person-penelope-when i first joined the team, which probably wasn't the best decision at the time. i quickly learned she's a blabbermouth despite all of her wonderful personality traits. needless to say, i thought spencer was cute and had a tiny crush on him, but as i became closer with him, i felt it was more of a brotherly love. however, i often found myself staring at him or smiling like an idiot when he spoke to me.