yearbook pictures

(garcia and y/n discover everyone's yearbook pictures and a secret is unveiled.)

"hey penny," i say to the bubbly girl before me, sitting happily at her desk. i didn't mean to interrupt as she went through her pens and markers, seeing which ones didn't work anymore even though she refused to throw any away. i was really the only one ever interested in her collectibles and accessories.

as i walked to her desk, i could already feel the lightness and positivity radiating off her 'dorm'.

"hey love, what can i do for you?" she asks me sweetly, and i just laugh while keeping my eyes on the case file in my hands. i ask, "can you do a quick search for me? malik walton." she nods and furrows her eyes towards her computer.

i grab a spinny chair and sit next to her. she smiles and asks, "who's this?" she probably thought it was someone i liked or a potential date, but this was something not so pretty.

she pulls up the picture and the information slowly glides in and she cringes after seeing so many charges. "well, i was doing case file work, and i stumbled upon this name and it was extremely familiar. it turns out i went to high school with him and i just needed to see how things turned out," i explained.

she nods and says, "yikes, y/n." i look at the charges: arson, battery, and sexual assault. i cringe and pause, "wait.. is that a yearbook picture?" she goes closer to the screen and hums a yes. she continues to go on that he had no recent pictures before being arrested.

she smirks, "let me find yours." i laugh and shake my head in pre-embarrassment. she pulls it up and we see me as a senior in high school. my hair was blonde; my makeup looked awful.

i laugh again and she asks, "o-m-g, you look like one of those popular girls that everyone wanted to be like. were you a mean girl?"

i scoff, taking offense as to her assumption that i was ever a popular mean girl, "no! absolutely not! i was the quiet nerdy girl who was only interested in psychology and didn't have time for many friends. i used to secretly hope that some other nerdy kid would find me in the library and ask me to a coffee date. i wanted to be mysterious." i smile, which causes her to grin.

i pleaded, "you have to show me yours now!" penelope presses a few keys and suddenly a picture of a younger version of herself comes up. she had the same smile. immediately, i say, "awwww!!" she laughs and we continue talking a bit more about it, before i suggest, "pull up hotch's."

she smiles, almost evilly as the photo develops. i swallow, my eyes furrowing as the picture of young aaron hotchner sat before my eyes. i laugh, "oh my god." 

she mumbles, "you can have chocolate thunder. i'll take hotch." i laugh and she says, "speaking of.." and before she's able to say another thing, a picture of morgan is shown on her screen. he had a mullet and a mustache which made me laugh more than i was before. she smiles, staring at baby morgan.

"do spence." i swallow. she licks her lips, "doctor spencer reid coming right up." the picture of the fine man comes up, and let me just say, wow.

spencer was still only 12 years old when he graduated high school, so penelope pulls up a more recent picture of him. his hair was messy and his smile was present. penelope scoffs, "y/n-" i look back at her and smile, "what?"

i could feel my cheeks burning with redness as she saw the way i looked at spencer's picture. she giggles, "i'm no profiler, but i can totally see your cartoony heart eyes for one special doctor reid."

i nervously defend myself, "no, i do not!" you wouldn't have to be a profiler to notice that i was lying. she just laughs and continued to stare at me, which made me even more nervous.

"maybe i have a tiny crush," i admit. her eyes deepen into mine, knowing that my words weren't showing the full extent of the truth.

i say, "fine," while rolling my eyes. she claps her hands, in which i could hear her many rings clinking. "don't come running to me when he kisses you," she gasps, "or when you have the perfect wedding in a peaceful library." i had to admit, i'd thought about it before. probably a bit more than i should have.

she groans at the nonexistent future memory of spencer and i even having the chance of getting together and having something. i get up to leave her den, and she stops me, "do you need these printed for teasing the boys for embarrassment or to draw heart eyes around spencer?"

i open the door and chuckle, "bye, penelope."

——
word count - 838.