pretty boy, put your seatbelt on

(spencer takes y/n on a date to the county fair.)

it was late may and spring was coming to its end, hence why spencer told me to wear light and comfortable clothes. he'd done the same-which was a rare sight for him. the sun was beginning to set but it didn't stop the lights from the county fair from almost blinding us.

spencer bought a ton of tickets that we didn't need but he insisted on getting them anyways and said not to worry about paying him back.

"i'm taking you on this date, y/n, it's my treat," he said, ending with a simple kiss on my hand as his fingers were intertwined with them.

i could tell he was anxious about the rides just by the way he was looking at them-i could practically see the numbers of accidents piling up in his head.

"what do you wanna do first?" he asks.

i tried looking for something that was a little more calm. so instead of suggesting a ride that took you upside down or over a hundred feet in the air, i say, "what about that one?"

i point to the bumper cars-which seemed to be the most harmless thing. he nods and agrees, taking my hand and pulling me with him

as we waited in the line and watched those inside run into one another, he says, "bumper cars run on electricity, carried by a pole on the back of the cart that leads up to a wire grid in the ceiling. the grid's electrical energy is carried to the cars from the grid which is converted to kinetic energy, some of which is converted to heat."

i smiled as he spoke-i always found it interesting when he rambled about this stuff. like how did he just know? and somehow he was always right... it was just fascinating.

"pretty boy, put your seatbelt on."

"why?" he sincerely asks.

"you're getting your ass beat."

he giggles, "is that a challenge, y/n?"

i just nod in return.

two tickets later, all throughout our turn, spencer and i were going after each other. of course, we stayed out of the children's way, but we both pushed each other around in the cars.

he had the purest of laugh which wasn't seen often. he was a quiet person unless comfortable and when he was comfortable, you were finally able to see his true self. he may not have been necessarily comfortable in the tight seatbelt-which was even tighter than needed due to my comment before-but he was definitely comfortable around me; which made the whole situation better.

all throughout the night, i could tell spencer was skeptical of every ride; but once it was over, he appeared as if he wanted to go on it again-like it was a test run. it was obvious he only went on more to please me.

we went on the swings, in which once we were a good 20 feet in the air, his arm was stretched out for mine. he took a deep breath once it stopped and he muttered, "that was... fun."

we went on another one where we sat in carts and were spun forwards and backwards while the commentator made exciting comments to build the anticipation.

i think that one was spencer's favorite despite the fact that he almost fell getting off.

we did other things too-like playing the games that were totally rigged. i beat him in a water gun game and balloon darts even though he let me win. we didn't get anything as a reward but i did win a goldfish after playing cup pong. i ended up giving it to a little boy who was more interested.

we got some food afterwards from one of the many food trucks and sat down at a picnic table. we figured it would be better to eat later in case we got too dizzy from an attraction and threw it all up.

"i've never had a pickle on a stick," he says confused but with his big goofy smile. i laugh and watch as he stares at the food in his hand. he turns to me, "why is it on a stick?"

"i don't know.. it just is," i respond. he smiles and we debate what we wanted to do next. spencer said he was feeling a bit tired, and i was too. we decided to go on the ferris wheel and head out.

we waited in the line for a while-which was filled with a bunch of couples and old people. this was a little more relaxing than the other carnival rides around, including the one where you go upside down. spencer was a little adamant about not going on that one.

we step inside the cart, me sitting on the left. it rocked a little as we got in so we buckled up. spencer turned to me, a daring look in his eyes. "y/n, i swear- rock the cart, and i'll..." he trails off.

"you'll what, spence?" i tease him.

"i'll reset the netflix password."

"oh, you wouldn't."

"oh, but i would."

as went up to the top, spencer stared at the skyline and how the sun had finally gone down. the lights and music and children's screams from the amusement park made my head pound but i didn't care; i was with spencer.

the wind blows, which rocks the cart-which was not my fault at all-so i turn to spencer's unsettled eyes and laugh. he pulls me to him, whether that be because he was cold or for safety, i didn't know.

we stop moving for a moment right at the top as the people at the bottom were let out and new people were let in. spencer looks at me and kisses me a few times before he asks, "are you having fun?"

i nod against his shoulder and say, "i have the best time every moment i'm with you." at my sappiness, spencer blushes and pulls me even closer to him.

to return the favor of compliments, he whispers, "you are so beautiful."

i kiss him more before we descend down and step off, his hand going in mine like it always did. i beg him to stop at the cotton candy stand before we leave. i buy some-i also felt bad about not buying anything the whole night so this was the least i could do for both of us.

we share the bag walking out and he says, "do you wanna come home with me? i think you have some pajamas you left over," he pauses, taking a bite of the candy which dissolves quickly, "or you can just wear some of mine."

i couldn't turn that down.

--
word count - 1195.
sorry i haven't posted a lot recently! school has been really stressful so i may not be able to post a ton of for another two weeks or so. i went to the fair with some friends this past weekend and couldn't stop thinking about going with spencer so here's this 😭