Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Charlotte’s POV

Caine’s intense look grew darker by the second. He was waiting for me to explain but I didn’t know if I was ready to tell him yet.

“What did Derek do to you?” Caine repeated, his hold on my hand tightening.

“He kicked me out of the pack,” I mumbled, rather incoherently.

It didn’t matter though, Caine heard me.

Uncontrollable growls were rumbling through his chest, and I felt the vibrations on my body from where we were pressed against each other.

“Why?” He asked.

His voice was so strong and demanding, even though he had just said one word.

“It was because of me,” Liam spoke up.

Caine’s eyes left mine and they focused on Liam instead.

“What did you do?”

“I shifted. And then, I attacked Derek’s pack. He claimed that since I had shifted and held a grudge, Charlie might be the same once she got her Wolf,” Liam explained.

His words were true, but I could see how Caine could easily misinterpret them. That was the reason Derek had kicked me out of the pack, but Liam and I hadn’t come from the same place, which was what Caine would probably assume.

Caine closed his eyes, and he shook his head slowly. The growls erupting from his chest sounded louder, and I could see his claws extracting from his hands.

“He is dead,” Caine said, in a smooth voice.

I would have almost believed that Caine had calmed down, if he hadn’t shifted into his large black Wolf only two seconds later.

He stood in front of Liam and me, growling fiercely at nothing. I was sure that if Derek had been there, Caine would have ripped him to shreds.

Liam came to my side just after Caine shifted. He was looking at Caine worriedly, and he placed his hand over my stomach and softly pushed me behind him.

I didn’t know what to expect, but I knew that Caine’s anger wasn’t directed at me. It was probably bad that Caine had gotten so mad that he couldn’t keep his Wolf from shifting. At the same time, it made me feel good inside.

What Derek had done to me had made Caine angry. I was very aware that Caine cared for me. It was like that with mates. Even though I wasn’t a Wolf, I could feel the bond between us, strong, powerful.

But little things Caine did, like getting mad about something that had hurt me for so long- that was still hurting me to date, it meant so much to me.

“Does he get like that very often?” Liam asked me once Caine was gone.

He’d broken part of the wall and completely torn the door and the door frame apart. Caine hadn’t been able to shift back to his human form, so he’d left the room.

We couldn’t communicate through a mind link, like he was able to do with his pack members, but I didn’t need to read his mind to know that he needed some time to cool off.

A minute later after Caine left the room, Victor walked in to tell me Caine had gone for a run.

“He gets mad but he rarely loses control,” I replied.