Chapter 10

Chapter 10

My protection?” I asked, indignantly.

“Charlotte…” Caine said my name like if he was trying to be patient with me. That grated on my nerves even more.

He was walking behind me, trying to grab a hold of my hand.

“I can’t believe you just said that!” I snapped.

“It’s the truth. I have to know you are safe.”

“Fine, I get that,” I said in a strained voice. “But did you seriously have to put that, that, girl to ‘protect’ me?” I didn’t need protection, but I figured it was better to tackle a problem at a time.

“Lesley is the best female fighter in the pack, I told you that.”

I stopped my rushed walk and turned around to face him. We were just about to reach the stairs, and I grabbed the railing for support. I was almost shaking with anger.

“You are seriously not scared that she might try something? I’m not one to back down in a fight, but you all have a huge advantage over me.” It hurt to say those words, but it was true.

I was physically weaker than them. If Lesley tried something, she would succeed because there was only so much I could do to fight her off.

“She won’t try anything, I promise,” Caine said, trying to reach out for me.

He managed to snake his arm around my waist. I couldn’t handle that. Being too close to him always clouded my judgment.

“How do I know that? You trust her but I don’t. Just leave me with Macon. I don’t need two babysitters,” I told him.

The words had just left my lips when I felt Caine’s claws grazing over my waist and a loud growl rumbled through his chest.

“I am not leaving you alone with a male,” Caine growled at me.

He pressed me impossibly close to his chest and nestled his head in my neck.

“Oh come on, Macon’s your third in command. He won’t try anything. It isn’t like Macon is going to kill me or something.”

I ran my hands smoothly over his chest, trying to get him to calm down. He hadn’t loosened his tight hold on me, so I knew he was still worked up.

“He’s a male.”

I laughed when I caught on to what he was implying.

“I’m not going to hook up with Macon,” I told him.

It hadn’t been my smartest comment.

“You’re mine,” he said through gritted teeth.

“I don’t want Lesley. If you put her to babysit me, trust me, you don’t want to see what I’ll do,” I said in an overly sweet voice.

Caine pulled away to stare at me. His eyes had already shifted to a darker color. One would’ve thought someone had killed his puppy with how he was looking at me.

“I can’t leave you alone with another guy. It’s not going to happen. Macon doesn’t have a mate,” Caine said.

I rolled my eyes at him.

“Jeez, thanks for the trust,” I muttered.

“I trust you,” he said, but his voice sounded unsure.

“Do you?”

“I do, but I don’t trust everyone else, especially any guy alone with you.”