Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Macon and I followed behind Leila. Every time I tried to get near her, he would pull me back.

“It’s a direct order from Victor. I need to keep you away from any Midnight Moon member,” Macon told me.

“Why would I follow a direct order from Victor? Isn’t he beneath me?” I asked him.

I almost laughed at Macon’s face. He didn’t know how to reply to my comment, and it was looking to me like Victor was trying to pull rank on me again. I couldn’t blame the guy, not really. He had been the voice of the pack right below Caine, and it didn’t help that most Wolves saw men as the dominants.

There were guys on every side of me, too close for my comfort. Even Macon was holding on to me tightly, and I was pressed to his side.

“They’re in the back,” Macon told me.

“I can hear them. I’m sure anyone within a mile radius can hear all that snarling,” I replied.

My voice sounded more confident than I felt. Seeing the way Jace, Alpha Dylan’s Beta, was holding Leila and how protected and out of reach she was — it worried me that this thing between Caine and Alpha Dylan might have been worse than I originally thought.

Macon’s eyes zoned in on the Wolves fighting in front of us. Everyone had made a circle around them, but I could easily pin point which Wolf was from what pack.

Once I saw Leila, and how distracted Jace was, I jogged up beside her. Everyone was looking at Caine and Alpha Dylan.

“What is this?” I mumbled to myself.

Caine and Alpha Dylan were fighting in their Wolf form, or at least attempting to do so. They were both black Wolves, I hadn’t expected that. I had seen Caine’s Wolf before, but I hadn’t seen Alpha Dylan’s Wolf.

I smiled, for some reason, when I noticed that Caine’s Wolf was bigger than Alpha Dylan. But that didn’t mean that he was stronger.

I couldn’t tell who had the advantage, or if they even wanted to really fight each other. They were throwing lame pushes, and rolling around in the floor. The most threatening thing about them was probably how much they growled and they snap their teeth at each other. That was it. They didn’t do anything else. 

“Uh…” I said, trying to find coherent words, or to at least make sense of what was happening.

“Are they…” I said, cocking my head to the side, while I continued to watch the performance in front of me.

“Fighting?” Macon spoke up.

“About to mate?” Liam asked, coming to stand between Leila and me.

I hadn’t really thought about Liam, but having him there brought my nerves up a notch. I didn’t want him catching Alpha Dylan’s attention, and then for them two to start fighting, even though what Alpha Dylan and Caine were doing didn’t really constitute as fighting.

“What?” Leila asked loudly, and she broke out laughing.

Liam was grinning at her, and I couldn’t help but crack a smile too.

“Seriously, they look like they’re about to get it on,” Liam said.

Either Leila’s laugh or Liam speaking got Caine and Alpha Dylan’s attention. They stopped fighting and turned to look at us.

“Caught red-handed by their mates,” Liam taunted, shaking his head.

There was a heavy silence in the area, with the exception of the ragged breathing from both Wolves.