Chapter 33

Chapter 33

“You have to calm down, Charlotte,” Caine said, pulling me against his chest.

I couldn’t talk. I was sobbing uncontrollably. I was trying to get to Theo. Two Wolves were carrying the crate that had his body. I tried running towards them, but Caine restrained me.

“Don’t touch me!” I growled, and when I tried to slap him, I got a good hit and dug my nails into his skin. His cheek ended up with my three claws deeply imprinted.

Caine frowned, touched his finger against the scratches, and growled thunderously. Everyone in the area, including Victor and the Wolves carrying the dead Knight Pack shifters, stopped in their tracks.

“I hate you,” I snarled at him, my words guttural and loud. It was quiet, and everyone had heard me.

Caine let me go and I ran towards Theo, where I could smell him. Once they set Theo’s crate down, and I clawed at it until I got it open.

He was there. He smelled wrong. He was bleeding. If it had been a quick death, Theo wouldn’t have been bleeding. I had still been crying—the tears silently running down my cheeks. But as soon as I saw Theo and the condition he was in—I knew Caine had beaten him. He was hurt, bruised, and bleeding so much. His blood smelled wrong—dead.

Theo was dead. Theo was dead. Theo was dead. The same words kept running through my mind, making me sob harder.

Caine approached me again, trying to get me up, but I slapped his hand away. I used as much force as I could muster. I couldn’t stand his touch.

“Don’t touch me!”

“Get up,” Caine ordered, grabbing my arm.

“Let me go!”

He forced me to get up. He was stronger than me. I fought him the entire way, but in the end, he was able to force me up and over to the truck.

“Get in, now!”

Everyone was looking at us. Even Tristan and his Wolves had their eyes glued to the scene we were making. I couldn’t be bothered to care about them—about any of them.

I didn’t get in the truck. When I tried to run away, Caine pulled me back roughly and forced me into the truck.

I lowered my head and rested it against my lap. I was trying to be strong. I was trying not to cry. I needed to do something. I was shaking. My entire body was shaking. I needed to shift. But I could feel my Wolf hurting as well. The tears kept on coming, I couldn’t stop them.

I couldn’t get the image of Theo out of my mind.

Caine was talking to me, but I wasn’t listening. I was trying to stop the craziness—all the emotions I felt. When he pulled on my arm to get me to face him, I cringed away and that was enough to stop him. It wasn’t like he cared.

We were driving away. He didn’t want to make a scene. I didn’t know what Caine had been expecting. How had he wanted for me to react?

Macon was driving the car, and Brandon was in the passenger seat. They were both quiet. There wasn’t anything to say, really. What was done was done.

I stopped thinking about that. I would’ve preferred ten times over to focus on my problems in Caine. But all of my attention was focused on Theo. It was my fault. He was dead because of me. They were all dead because of me.

The Wolves from Knight Pack and the Wolves from Locus Pack—they were all gone. It hadn’t been enough to have killed the first five. Caine had to make sure I really felt it. Over twenty Wolves were dead because of me. I started crying again, my sobs loud and shaking my entire body. Caine was trying to get me to sit up. He was trying to hold me, to sooth me.