18

You were wiping and cleaning some shelves on the second floor. Making the books look neat in Mr.Patterson's store. You felt a presence behind you. You turned around for a second and it was Mr.Patterson. "Hey"

"I can help" he offered

"It's okay I've missed a couple of days here and I'm making it up" you responded

"How is Spencer by the way," he asked

"Not great" you sighed "I don't know how I can do this"

"Do what?"

"Stay calm and be there for him. I know it's not about me but I'm stuck. I don't know how to help him." You spoke as you began to put the books back into the shelves from a small cart beside you

"Well I think you should start by making sure he's innocent" he quickly responded

"What" you stopped what you were doing and turned around to look at him

"You were an agent right. Start out by making sure that he is innocent. I know he's also an agent but the system is corrupt. And you've only known him for a couple of months" he explained

"Trust me I know how corrupt the system can be I have seen it first hand" you put down the book you were putting back "but Spencer is different"

"Okay but look at it from an unbiased perspective"

"From an unbiased perspective of course the evidence makes him look guilty but I know him. He's not a killer" you explained and maintained your calm behavior

"Some people surprise you and who knows all that time he used to spend away could have been the time he used to-"

"What are you trying to get at here" you stopped him and furrowed your brow

"Y/n you have been working for me for over 2 years and I have grown fond of you. I have 3 kids and when you started to spend all of your time here it felt like I had another one" he spoke quietly "I guess I'm trying to protect you in a sense just in case"

It was true. You had grown to see him as a sort of father figure. Especially when your own father was a piece of shit who only called you for money. "I get that you want to protect me from whatever is happening but trust me Spencer didn't do this"

"Okay" he sighed

"Okay" you shook your head and continued to put books back into place. You heard the door open downstairs and both you and Mr.Patterson leaned against the railing to see. It was some guy and he looked up at you "Hey"

"Hi" you responded "I'll be down in a second"

"I'm Sam" he waved

You smiled and waved back. You turned back towards the shelves and Mr.Patterson asked "You know him?"

"No" you whispered "I'm very forgetful sometimes"

"Are you going to see Spencer today?" He spoke up a little bit louder

"Yep" you smiled and placed the last book in your hands on the shelf. You turned back around to look down and the guy left. You shrugged it off. He probably got impatient.

"I'm sorry for accusing Spencer of being guilty" Mr. Patterson walked behind you as you reached the stairs

"It's okay you were just worried" you assured him. You were definitely bothered but you didn't want to add more to your plate.

...

You were waiting once again for a line of men to walk through and once again you saw Spencer walk through the door. You stayed seated and watched him walk over to you. But your heart stopped once you realized he was clutching his side and there were bruises on his face. They were old. But still fresh enough to hurt and be visible. That must've happened a couple of days ago. He slowly sat down. His bruises were yellowing and he was still in pain. How badly did they hurt him?