CHAPTER 2

PENNY

I had to google a salon open at 07:00 in the morning because wow my hair. A nice guy that lives down the street was able to tide me over in less than 30 minutes. Only 1 of my work suits fit, a bit tight but it accentuated the assets and I looked presentable. The job I'm interviewing for is lower than CFO, but a senior project accountant so it is great. I love it because it's where I started. Needless to say I aced the interview and landed the job. I got home late after celebrating at the spa and buying some much needed work clothes. It's Friday today so I only have the weekend to sleep. Let me not discuss the amount of hair that was waxed off my body. I even got some much needed lazer treatment for the kiwi. I've been really unkempt, it's embarrassing.

I have to recall Andile, I mean Tshepo's helper, I've really missed her around, my house will be clean again. Mr said I don't need house help since I'm home. Now as a working girl, no more slaving around. Let me send her a message to report for duty tomorrow. I've been paying her extra so she can be on call. Behind mr's back obviously. After cutting the grass twice, I called the garden help back, hayi I couldn't.

I walk in and my husband is watching tv. I  tried to tell him the good news but his phone was off, I figured he was in surgery. Now he's sitting in the lounge and he's pink. I guess he's upset.
Tshepo: Uphumaphi?(Where do you come from)
Me: Uhmm. I...
Him: Since when do we stutter. Uyajola?
Me: No baby. I got the job and needed some work clothes. I start on Monday.
Him: You have lots of clothes.
Me: None of them fit. Plus....
Him: The solution is to lose the weight. Not waste my money. Wait.
He takes out his phone to check.
Him: There are no notifications on my phone. Who's money did you use? Am I a useless husband? Can I not take care of my own wife?
Me: I'm sorry baby. I only bought a few. I will go back after I see the dress code at the office.

.
.

I walk into the building. It's my first day on the job& I'm nervous as hell. I keep telling myself this will work. I won't make any friends. I will be the best employee. I will not qui for anyone ever again.
I step into the lift, press 1 for reception. Her make-up though. I'm sure she spends 5 hours in front of the mirror.
Receptionist: Good morning mam, how may I be of assistance?
Me: I'm here for ms Myeza
Recept: Just a moment please.
Ms M: Morning darl, come with me.
I'm placed in a corner with 6 empty desks, and given study material. I make myself at home and decide to call the husband.
Me: Hi babe
Husbae: Yebo
Me: I made it
Him: Ok.
Me: How are you?
Him: I'm busy. We'll talk later.
Me: You never have time for me.
Him: Ngithe ngibhizi( I said I was busy)
Me: Love you
Him: Sure

LUNCHTIME

Ms M: I'm glad you finally decided to make something of yourself. Instead of just staying at home.
Me: I'm sooo looking forward to it
Ms M: Have you seen the talent in this place?
Me: Woah Tracy I'm married
Ms M: That dude hasn't loved you in a long time. You know he's messing around right? But you stay.
Me: But I love him
Ms M: I'm not finished. Then you left your high flying career because of his insecurities.
Me: Stop T.
Ms M: Look. 1 step at a time. I love you my friend.