CHAPTER 15

ANDILE

My schedule is the worst. The only thing keeping me going is my little family. I have accepted that I have to work hard to get her back. Listening to Mlindo the vocalist and his sad songs. " Bamthathile ulavi wami." I refuse to accept it though. How could I have been so stupid. She gave me her all. Her independence. Her love. All the respect. And I just threw it away. I catch a tear on my cheek. Who is this man I have become?

She is the pregnant one, but my punishment is the yoyo emotions. The food cravings. Fatigue!!! I know the babies are mine, but Penny dismissed my explanations. She says I'm experiencing a phantom pregnancy. Apparently I want them to be mine so bad I've convinced my body to falsely mimic the symptoms. The water we are trudging through is so murky right now, but I will forge on. I'm going to see her tonight, we have a date. I'm going to bring her a gift that is not food. I'm thinking diamonds.

As I'm walking to my favourite jeweller I spot her, she is oblivious to her surroundings. Her baby bump is evident, although small. I remember the call I had from our family healer. Mpho is cray cray. I slip into the nearest shop and wait for her to pass. I can't believe I chose her over my woman. Mubi mann.

I walk into Mohammed's Jewelers. I look through his stash of bracelets and necklaces, everything is beautiful and fit for my queen. From the corner of my eye I see it. I wasn't looking for a ring, but this one caught my eye. I ask for it, as I'm holding it in my hand, I'm suddenly overwhelmed with the strangest calmness. I ask for it to be sized, I know my baby is not standard size so they have to size all her jewellery. On close inspection turns out this ring is her size. It is really meant for her. I just pay for it, get it certified and insured. And go to my baby's house.

PENNY

What a day. After my fill, I asked Hulk to go. I have a date tonight so he needs to bounce. I'm relaxing in the tub and as the bubbles work their magic on my stiff muscles, I realize I have 2 men. I have 2 gorgeous specimen who want me wholeheartedly. I smile to myself. So we hoeing now hey. I can't rush this decision, I can't rush my future. I know either way I go my babies will be taken care of. I don't want to know how far along I am, so paternity does not sway my decision.

I'm ready and I walk out of my room. I wonder where we are going. He is there already and we drive out. He seems so nervous. I don't like this Andile. His self confidence is shot. His fear is evident in everything he does. I need my arrogant fool back. This retard in front of me is useless to me.

He drives to our old house. Now I understand his fear. I freeze the moment he leads up the front steps. All memories I tried to push away flood back. He can see the change in my demeanor.

ANDILE

Oh what did I do to my baby. My heart breaks as I see her break down. I lead her to sit on the steps
Me: Penny, I brought you here to remove the plaster. I asked the doctors if you were ready and they agreed.
Her: What?
Me: Sthandwa sam I want us to start over.
Her: Huh
Me: This is where everything crumbled for us. Yes, the bubble we've been in in the past 2 months has been heaven. But unless we deal with what happened in this house, the healing will not commence.
I stand up and grab her hand. We walk in.

PENNY

The moment the doors open, I don't recognize where I am. It's as if it's that first day, when I picked this house. The furniture, the art, the walls are new.
Me: When?
Andile: The day you were admitted
Me: So long
Andile: I knew that day what I had to do.

I go through the house. Every single piece of furniture looks handpicked by me. The colour palette, scatter cushions, kitchen appliances. My God what has Andile done.
Andile: Now to your room.

I walk in, tears start flowing. I can't hold them in anymore, there's now an extra door. I open it. The room is yellow. Winnie the pooh all over. 2 cots with double accessories. I'm so overwhelmed, I turn to him. He' on his knee.

Andile: My love. I have taken your heart and crushed it. Yet I am here asking you to give it back to me. I will heal it back to life. I will treasure it and place it next to mine for safe keeping. I have killed your love for me. I have tarnished your faith in love. I have destroyed your trust in me. In our love. I kneel in front of you today with just a promise. A promise to rebuild. A promise to fight. A promise to withstand.
I love you Mthunzi wami. I will live everyday proving it you. Please give me the opportunity to show you me.

He opens up his hand, there's a ring in there.

Andile: Nana, please marry me.

I know what I want to say. I know who I want to be with tomorrow. I know who must raise my kids. I look at the ring, it's so perfect.
Andile: Here. Keep it. I don't want your answer today.
He puts it back in the box and hands it to me. I'm shocked by this reaction.
Andile: I know about you and that fool from your office. I know he was there for you in your darkest hour. That's all on me. Not you. Tears start forming in my eyes.
Him: I have not yet proven my commitment to you. I have not yet earned your trust. Therefore I will not judge. Nor dictate what you do.
The tears just flow effortlessly from both our eyes.
Me: Andile, please borrow me your phone
He does. And I dial a number

Person: Hello
Me: Senzo hi.
Him: Hi baby
Me: Thank you
Him: Are you ok?
Me: Yes, I'm great. I called to tell you thank you. Thank you for keeping me safe for my husband. Thank you for taking good care of me when he couldn't. I have decided that I'm going back to him. I know it's unconventional to do this over the phone, but I wanted him to be part of the conversation. Thank you. Goodbye
Him: Penny.
Me: Yes
Him: It's not over. Bye

Andile is smiling. There is absolutely nothing to celebrate here.
Andile: Thank you.
He slips in the most beautiful ring I've ever seen. He gives me a passionate kiss. Leads me to our room. We take a bath together. We even forgot to eat, our emotions are too high strung. We get out wear our gowns and go to the kitchen to eat. His phone rings.

Andile: Baba
Baba: Sawubona ndodana. Ngicela nifike nomakoti kusasa. Kuyaphuthuma.(Good evening son. Please come to the compound tomorrow and bring our wife. It's urgent.
Yoh. I wonder. We sleep and wake up at 04:00 to prepare for the journey. We are out by 05:00.