CHAPTER 17

PENNY

I can't believe what is happening right now. I want to trust my husband. I honestly want to with all my heart. But I'm so hurt. I'm not angry. I'm just disappointed. I'm taken back to when I met him. He's the opposite of men I like. He's not my type at all. He's short, he's yellow, he has hair. But the minute he opened his mouth I was drawn to him. His arrogance is so appealing to me. It turns me on honestly.

The moment I met his "member" I was his forever. Just thinking about our first night makes me forget the drama I find myself in. There's a knock on the bedroom door. I'm startled because it's not locked and Andile wouldn't knock. But I know today's operation is a long complicated one, I'm not expecting him for hours. I walk to the door.

It's both my parents in law.
Baba: Sicela ukungena makoti. (Can we come in?)
Firstly I'm shocked they are in Gauteng. Secondly they have never been in this room. Something about them respecting our privacy. I lead them in and they settle on the couch. I know they think it's not the bed. Therefore no coitus occurs there. But me and my baby do it anywhere and everywhere, all the time. Worse now that we have new furniture to christen.
Oh God I should be concentrating. Why do I still call Andile my baby? Why am I not mad? I look at them.
Baba: Siyaxolisa ndodakazi.(We apologies daughter)
I say nothing
Baba: When you called, we had already arrived in town.
Huh?
Baba: We sent her away. Instructed her to come with her people. We will not discuss the matter with her.
Me: Baba are you going to make him take a second wife?
Mama: My child please be patient. We asked for the meeting to be tomorrow morning. We would like you to sit in that meeting with us.
I don't seem to have an option here. I nod
Mama: For today though, please freshen up. We are taking you out.

All of this is strange. They walk out and I freshen up. I have to conjure my makoti alter ego. Hot pregnant makoti. I find an Ankara maxi with a doek. Lol so much pressure. We go out, get nails and hair done. Even baba gets a manicure. After that the doek is gone. Apparently I will wear it on pressing ocassions. Like tomorrow. We then head to their guesthouse. Hawu. Apparently I will only see Andile at the meeting. They've even confiscated my phone. Kaze kuhambani la(What the fvck is happening here)?

ANDILE

I am so exhausted. That surgery took over 12 hours. Honestly we were not expecting Mr Montgomery to survive. But he did. My mentor in England sent him to me and he made it. That is the best news for my career. We need to celebrate. It's already after 20:00 but I know my wife will be up for anything. She is never too tired for me. Even with the heavy twins kicking her all the time. I am truly blessed.

I get home and it's quiet. I go to our room, it's empty. Doesn't even look slept in. There's no food for me in the warmer. Her phone is off and I start to panic. I can't help the tears. I call my mom. Yes, I'm a mama's boy
Me: Mama ungishiyile(she left me)
Mama: Well the chickens have come home to roost my boy.
To say I was shocked, downplays my feelings. I was mortified
Me: Maaaaa!!!
Mama: Son, it's a rule of life. Something no-one can escape from. You reap what you sow. It is God's principle my son. I am sorry ndodana yami.
I just wailed. I'm to blame for all of this. My eyes wandered and I lost sight of the treasure in my life.
I stayed awake all night, in the dark. Praying and crying. Promising God that I'm going to protect his angel. He must just bring her back to me. I get startled by a knock on the door at the break of dawn. The person didn't even use the intercom.

I open the door and it's babu Zulu. What is the medicine man doing here.
Zulu: Sawubona ndodana
Me: Yebo baba
Him: You look dreadful. Go freshen up and come back, we need to talk.
I take 10 minutes tops and we sit over tea.
Him: Ndodana ngifuna ube nesineke namhlanje.(son I need you to be calm today) Think before you act. Everything will be the way it is meant to be.

The intercom rings. It's my father's 3 bothers with their sons and my 2 brothers as well. They are in their family imbizo attires, complete with jackets and walking sticks. SIHT I'm in trouble. The intercom again and 5 cars with NW number plates. Men and women walk in. Mpho is amongst them. With a blanky round her shoulder. Her bulging tummy on display, with that tight dress she's wearing. I roll my eyes. I lead everyone to my meeting room. There's couches, chairs and grass mats set up. Don't worry I'm as shocked by this as you are.

As we settle in, in walks my parents. Wait they are not alone. My yellow bone is behind them. She is the most beautiful vision I've ever seen. She is glowing, breathtaking. All three are wearing matching outfits. I'm overjoyed right now.
They help my queen settle ocansini. I walk out and come back carrying a thick duvet for my baby to sit on, a pillow so she can lean against the wall and a fleece blanky to cover her legs. Everyone is just watching this movie. My people are smiling while the other side are disgusted.
My baby on the other hand just looks sad. Radiant, but really sad.

Man 1: Dumelang bo Khuzeni, Mazibuko, Mvelase.
Zikalala: .......
Man 1: Mpungose
Zulu: Yebo ndodana, singaninceda ngani?