Chapter 1

Alexander's POV

      I stepped into the familiar coffee shop, the small bell ringing above my head. I could really use a 5-Hour Energy-Red Bull mix, but this'll have to do, I thought. I was about to step up to the register when I realized something - there's a line. Now, this may not seem like much, but this place is usually empty as shit when I come in, so this is a bit of a shocker. I shrugged it off and got in line, taking my place at the end (like a peasant instead of someone who knows most of the employees here). I pulled my phone out of my pocket to pass the time, but I couldn't help but overhear an exchange between the barista and a customer.

      "Hi there! Before I take your order, I have to ask - what's your preferred name and what're your preferred pronouns?" the barista asked the person.

      "Excuse me?" she asked. (No doubt a conservative, middle-aged white lady who has no idea that she just walked into an LGBTQ+ safe space). 

      "I was asking your preferred name and pronouns so I wouldn't misgender you," he explained. "It's store policy, just so everyone's comfortable." The woman looked angry for some reason.

      "What the hell is a 'preferred name'? Can't someone just use the name they were given? And why do you even have to ask for pronouns? Shouldn't it be obvious?" she shot back. I rolled my eyes, and so did the barista. He caught my eye for a second and shot me a quick smile, causing me to blush like mad. He then sighed and then put on a fake, overly cheery smile.

      "Ma'am, I'm going to have to ask you to leave," he explained.

      "What?! Why?!" she yelled.

      "Because what you said was so blatantly transphobic," he replied calmly. "Plus, I'm the assistant manager, so I can actually kick you out. Off you go!" He gestured for her to leave and the karen stormed off.

      After a few more minutes of waiting, it was (finally) my turn to order. I stepped up to the counter and mumbled a small "hello".

      "Hi! Sorry about that, we get people like her all the time," he explained, tucking a stray piece of his curly hair behind his ear. He was about to speak but I cut him off.

      "Pronouns are he/him, no need to ask," I told him, smiling a little. "Name's Alexander, but you can call me Alex," I added.

      "I'm John," he replied.

      "So anyways Alex, what would you like to order?" he asked. I told him what I wanted (black coffee, no add-ins or whatever), and continued to talk with him.

      "I like your t-shirt, which is your favorite book?" I asked, noticing he was wearing a Harry Potter t-shirt.

      "Prisoner of Azkaban, hands down," John replied, turning around to fill my cup. He was explaining why that was his favorite book when I heard him start cursing.

      "Are you okay?!" I asked.

      "N-no... I burned my hand when I was getting your drink.." he mumbled. "Hey, Peggy! Can you come take over for me? I burned my hand.." John called.

      "Coming!" Peggy yelled back as she raced to the front. "Oh, hi Alex!" she said to me.

      "You know him? John asked as he was bandaging his hand.

      "Yeah! He's always here during your lunch break for some reason," she explained. He just nodded and said nothing, as he was struggling with the bandages. Peggy handed me my coffee and I smiled.

      "Thanks, Peggy," I said with a grin. "Oh also, here," I mumbled, handing a piece of paper with my phone number on it to John.

      "Huh-? Oh, thanks," he replied. I waved goodbye and stepped out of the shop, when I noticed something written on the cup under my name.

      "Hm? What's this?" I asked myself. I pulled back some of the labels to find a little message. It was John's phone number with Call me! written next to it. I smiled and entered the number into my phone.

a/n hi, short chapter because i can't write, also skip this if you're here from the hamilfandom wiki