Chapter 27

A/N - hi so people have told me "awww alex is acting like catra and john is acting like adora!" if you don't know those characters, that's fine, but as a fan of "She-Ra", this was NOT intentional! i did it again in 29 by the way

Both POVs

1 Hour Later

I drummed my fingers on the steering wheel as I waited for traffic to start moving again. It was pouring outside, and I guess with everyone going home from work or school around now, traffic was going as slow as it could get. We'd left the courtroom after filling out all the paperwork and such to get custody of the kids about an hour ago, but there was still a long way to go. An hour and a half, to be exact. Alex had told me he could drive, but within five minutes of driving, he'd fallen asleep. I wasn't surprised. I'm pretty sure that last night was the first time Alex had slept in about a week. The kids weren't with us, as Laf and Herc haven't moved out yet, which means we don't have the other room we need. They'd gone to Martha's apartment and they're probably gonna stay there for a few days, maybe even a week. Speaking of Laf and Herc.. it's like they heard me think about them. I answered the FaceTime call, letting them appear on my phone screen (no, it's not in my hand, it's on one of those things that you attach to the vents so that you can see the GPS while you drive). I was about to say something when they started asking a whole bunch of questions. "Guys, be quiet! Alex is asleep and I don't wanna have to hear him screech for the next hour and a half," I told them. "Yes, we won, no, the kids aren't with us, no, they won't be moving in while you two are still living with me and Alex. Happy?" They nodded. I was telling them about how we're gonna do everything with the kids, like with the rooms or when Alex and I are both out, when I felt someone tap me on the shoulder. "Jackie, when are we gonna get home?" Alex asked with the air of a whiny toddler. "In an hour, Alex. Just go back to sleep," I told him. "But I can't," he complained. "You woke me up." I sighed. "I told you guys to be quiet," I huffed. "You're on the phone? With who?" Alex asked. "Bonsoir, mon ami," Laf told Alex. He then said something in French that I couldn't understand, but Alex could. They went on for a few minutes, rapidly talking in French. "Okay, we'll call you back later, traffic's moving again," I said to the guys before (much to Alex's disappointment) hanging up.

1 ½ Hours Later

After what felt like forever, we were home. Finally. I was still exhausted, but I could take another nap later. I had work to finish, and that was priority. We stepped into the lobby, Jackie gripping my hand. It was crowded, as usual, but there seemed to be more people than normal. John pulled me over to the elevator so we could get up to our apartment. "It's really crowded," he mumbled. I nodded, stepping into the elevator as I heard the ding. I tugged him in with me. "You're quiet, Alex. What's wrong? I thought you'd be ecstatic that you did so well on your first case." I swallowed hard. "I'm just worried that the rain won't lighten up, that's all. I'm kinda scared it'll get worse.." I mumbled. "I get it. How about we watch a movie? Your choice," Jack offered. "N-no, I have work to do," I told him, stifling a yawn. "Alex, your work can wait. You've been working non-stop lately, and now the case is closed. I know you have coursework to do, but take a break! You're exhausted, Alex. Just take a break for today. Tomorrow, you can do your work. But unless anything is due tomorrow, it doesn't need to be finished tonight." He's right. You do need a break. "You're right, Jackie. I'll take a break today. I don't have anything urgent, so we can watch a movie." I stepped out of the elevator, pulling him behind me.

~

Alex had insisted that we watch a Disney movie, more specifically Toy Story. I'd asked him why, and he said it was his favorite movie because it was the first one he'd watched. He was ranting about how the first Toy Story was good, but that Toy Story 2 was the best. "Alex, slow down. You find a way to argue about everything, even when nobody's arguing with you," I told him, holding back a laugh at how cute he was being. "But it's true!" he shot back, continuing to ramble. "And this is why I don't let you drink coffee after 3." He glared at me, although I knew he was being playful. "You let me have coffee after 3 today, though. Why's that?" he asked. "Because you were tired and this is the only way to give you energy, considering that most times, you 'forget' to eat anything," I explained. "Plus, you're cute when you get all excited about something and start going on and on-" he cut me off. "I am not cute!" he practically screeched. "Yes, you are," I told him. "At least to me you are." I noticed he was blushing a lot. Awww, he's adorable. "T-thanks.." he mumbled, snuggling with me.