Chapter 9

Alexander's POV

I sighed as I walked down the crowded halls, trying to get to my next class. I was nearly there when I heard someone, someone familiar, talking. "So anyway, I was just tryna get a coffee, and then this curly-haired prick bumps into me, and starts throwing insults at me because I called him short," Jefferson explained. He went on with his story for a bit, boring me a bit (not that I was supposed to be listening), until he got to the end. "Then, this kid takes out his keys and begins opening up the shop, so I ask him if he owns the place. He says his roommate does, and then asks me if I wanted a coffee," he continued. Wait, curly-haired kid? Said his roommate owns the shop-? I then realized that Jefferson hadn't met any kid, he'd had an encounter with John. "Um, excuse me, Thomas, but I think I know this so-called 'prick' you're talking about," I explained. He raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms, as if telling me to go on. "Look, you just so happened to meet my boyfriend-" but I was cut off before I could finish. "You have a boyfriend? I highly doubt that," Thomas sneered. I took out my phone and dialed John's number. "Hello?" he asked. "Hey, John! I was wondering if you met anyone this morning before you opened the café," I explained, now putting him on speaker. "Oh, hi Alex! Yeah, I did meet someone before opening the shop. I was walking backwards and talking to Laf when I accidentally bumped into someone. I was about to apologize when he tells me to watch where I'm going, and he called me short. So I tell him that just because he's tall does not make me short. I ask him where he got his outfit, he had no sense of style, and he seriously looked like he robbed a window display on 5th Avenue," he told me. I shot Thomas a look, and noticed he was glaring at me. "So then this prick starts telling me about my hair, obviously because he couldn't think of any other insult, and I was about to tell him that his hair looked like an overly hairy kiwi, but decided against it. I opened up shop and he went off to a Starbucks for his coffee instead. Not liked I wanted to deal with him." Thomas's mouth hung open. "How come you asked?" I was suppressing my laughter at Jefferson's expression, but I didn't let John hear. "Well, I just so happen to have some classes with him, and I overheard him call you a prick, that's all," I explained. "You have to deal with him every day? That must suck. Anyways, Alex, I gotta go. See you later!" And with that, he hung up. "Your boyfriend's an idiot," Jefferson muttered. "So are you," I shot back as we stepped into class. I had a seat in my usual spot, only to notice someone next to me who looked very familiar. Oh my god she looks like John if he were a girl! I thought. Wait, didn't he say one of his sisters moved up here for college-? I was snapped out of my thoughts when someone talked to me. "Hi! Alex, isn't it? I'm Martha, John's told me a lot about you," she told me. "Hi.." I mumbled. "You're his sister, right?" I asked. "Yeah, I suppose he's told you about our dad?" I nodded. "It's a bit of an emotional trigger for him, as when I talked to him about it yesterday-" she cut me off. "He was a huge mess for the rest of the day?" she finished. "Basically, yeah," I replied. "He gets like that sometimes, but he seems to trust you. From what he's told me, you seem like someone he'd trust. So please, try and keep it that way, okay?" I nodded again, stunned by the fact I'd met his sister without anyone's interference. I sighed and took out my laptop as class begun.