Chapter 15

Alexander's POV

The Next Day

I woke up the next morning with a pounding headache, and I just felt sick. "Afternoon, sleepyhead." I looked over at John, who had been doing something at his desk. "Y-you mean morning, right?" I asked with a yawn. "Nope," he replied. "I was out for that long..?" He nodded and smiled. "Wait... does this mean I missed my classes?!" I half-shouted. "Alex, it's fine. It's only 12:30. You can still go in for your later classes if you want, but I think you should stay home," he told me, getting up to take my temperature. "You still have a fever, Alex. I think you should stay with me for the day. Besides, I already took the day from work to keep an eye on you," he explained. "Relax, I'm fine Jackie-" I cut myself off. "Guess you caught on to my nickname?" he asked. I nodded. "Martha kept calling you Jackie, so it kinda stuck," I mumbled. "It's what my mom used to call me, and my siblings kept using it for me." Used to? I don't even wanna ask him about that, I don't want to accidentally pull another "trigger" that he has, I thought. "Anyways, I'm fine. I can go in at 3 for my next class, and I'll call if anything happens, okay?" He (probably reluctantly) nodded. "Thanks, I can't afford to miss any classes. I don't know if there's any penalties, like with my scholarship, but I don't wanna find out what happens if I miss a day," I explained. "I get it, but it's okay to take a break, Alex," he told me. Sure, a break... I thought. That won't help with anything.

~

I should've stayed home, I can't get anything done, I thought. My headache hadn't eased up, and the headache of a partner I had been assigned made things worse. Aaron Burr was sitting next to me, going on and on about how I shouldn't go through with the case and just stay quiet about everything. "For the last time, Burr, this man has custody of 3 minors and has been proven to be abusive. I'm doing the case to help these innocent kids get into the custody of someone who doesn't have severe anger issues," I explained. I'd been explaining my reasoning to him for the last half hour or so of class, but he didn't seem to be listening. "That's a good reason, but isn't he a lawyer as well? Won't he crush you in court?" Burr asked. "My skills are better than you think. As someone here on a scholarship because of my writing, I'm sure that I'll be just as good talking in court. Besides, liars like him, as he will probably plead not guilty, always have a loophole in their stories. I'll find the loophole, give solid evidence, and just like that, he's off to rot behind bars." I was starting to feel exhausted, and my eyes were closing themselves. The last thing I heard was Burr making some counterpoint before I felt my head slump down onto the desk in front of me.