|21| Madison

Maddy froze. Instead of her life flashing in front of her like a normal person, the first thought that Maddy had was 'So this is what a character feels like to have a gun aimed at them.'

"Drop the gun you are holding," the person holding the gun to her head commanded.

Maddy didn't know what to do. If she didn't drop the gun, she might get shot and if she did drop the gun the guy in front of her would get it. They might shoot her even if she dropped the gun. She just stood there wracking her brain for a solution to the situation she was stuck in.

Before she could take a decision, she heard a growl and in the next second, Maddy saw something pounce on the person behind her from the corner of her eyes. The person behind her went tumbling down but just before he hit the ground, his finger pressed the trigger. Luckily, the gun wasn't aimed at Maddy anymore so she didn't have to worry about getting hurt.

But the loud sound produced by the gun made her jump and she in turn, pressed the trigger of the gun she was holding. Even though she hadn't aimed, the bullet went and hit the weaponless guy in front of her. She hadn't been prepared to shoot so when the gun recoiled after the bullet was fired, Maddy stumbled back. The bullet had hit the guy somewhere near the stomach.

Maddy turned back to find Xander snarling at the dead body of the person who had almost shot Maddy. "Uh... I'm pretty sure that he can't hear all your growling," Maddy told Xander.

Xander's head snapped to her. His eyes were nearly black and he had a little blood smeared on his snout and at that point of time he looked down-right terrifying.

Maddy gulped loudly. "However, if you want to continue snarling at the dead body, you can go right ahead. I won't judge you."

Xander did something with his eyes that suspiciously looked as though he rolled his eyes, and then he ran away into the forest. Maddy walked away from the bodies.

Even though the fact that the three dead bodies were of people who wanted to traffic children as young as six, did make her feel a lot less guilty, she still felt slightly uncomfortable with killing other people. If she hadn't felt uncomfortable, she would have been worried. No one should feel comfortable with killing people. If she had a choice, she wouldn't have killed them but when was she ever presented with a choice? It was either kill or be killed.

Maddy couldn't hear any shouts or gunshots so she assumed that all the bad guys were killed. Nevertheless, she kept her dagger ready. She didn't know if the gun was loaded or how to load it, so she decided to use her dagger instead. As she walked, she came across Alexa and Jeremy. The moment they saw her, the two of them rushed to her.

"Are you okay?" Jeremy asked worried. "Only three of them had guns and all of them ran in your direction."

"Am I okay?" Maddy asked incredulously as she gaped at Jeremy's shoulder. Jeremy's shoulder looked like someone had played tug of war with it. It was twisted in a weird direction. "What the hell happened to your shoulder?"

"I can't feel it much. It will heal in a couple of hours."

"You can't feel it," Maddy repeated him as she stared at his shoulder. Werewolves must have some serious pain resistance if they didn't feel a fricking dislocated shoulder.

Alexa couldn't talk as she was in her wolf form. She didn't have enough energy to shift back and retain her clothes. So, she stayed in her wolf form and inspected Maddy to make sure that she was fine.

"I encountered two of them. Xander must have killed the third one before he or she could reach me. Are we safe now?"

"Xander is sniffing around the place to make sure that we are safe. Until then, the three of us should stick together."

"The four of should have gone together," Maddy said worriedly. "If people gang upon him, Xander won't stand a chance."

"I can't get killed, remember?" a voice said from behind Maddy. "But I am honored that you are concerned about me. I knew you had a thing for me."

Maddy shook her head with exasperation and shoved Xander. "Keep dreaming."

Xander's expression became sober. "We have a slight problem. It looks like the entire surroundings changed when the washroom disappeared and all the voodoo magic took place. I have absolutely no clue where we are right now."

Maddy looked around her surroundings. There were trees everywhere so it was completely impossible to tell if the surroundings had indeed changed or not. Jeremy seemed to have the same idea. "Let's try and get out of this forested area and see if we can come across a road or path. It will be easier to find our way after that."

The four of them started walking with Alexa leading. They traced their way back to where the brown colored building was. Or at least where the building was supposed to be. Instead of the building, was more trees.

"Are you sure it is this place?" Maddy asked. "We might have gotten confused and made a wrong turn."

Xander, Jeremy and Alexa were adamant that the place where they were standing, was the very place where the building had been.

"According to the various scents present here, this is where the building is supposed to be," Jeremy said, frustrated.

Maddy had no clue what was going on. How had the building disappeared just like that? Was it some kind of defense mechanism? They had just solved one problem, only to be dumped in a second one.

Maddy was pretty sure that they weren't in the Cubbon Park anymore. Although the park did have many trees, it didn't have such dense forested areas. There was no point in just standing there and hoping that the building would just appear, so the four of them started walking in a random direction. They kept on waking, hoping that they might stumble upon some road or path. Just as they were about to give up hope, a voice called out to them from the behind.

"Who the hell are you and tell me one reason why I shouldn't kill you."