|46| Madison

Maddy stopped just before opening the door. There were voices coming from inside the room. Maddy pressed her ear to the door and tried to listen to what was going on inside.

"I need it done by now," one voice shouted from inside. Maddy immediately recognized it as Krithika's voice. She tried harder to listen through the door. The information might be crucial.

"We are trying but the werewolves aren't yielding any result. Other than silver no other substance can severely hurt them," the second voice said.

"Well, silver doesn't grow on trees and it costs a lot of money. I need some cheap way to kill a large number of werewolves at once without spilling blood."

"But that's nearly impossible."

Maddy didn't recognize the second voice but she shivered hearing the intentions of why they were experimenting on the werewolves. Killing a large number of wolves without spilling blood? Maddy thought that Krithika was experimenting just because she was curious about how werewolves worked but that sounded like some serious bad guy shit.

"It is nearly impossible but not impossible to do what I am asking you to do. They are asking me for results. What do I tell those werewolves?"

Maddy stumbled back when she heard that. Krithika was working for werewolves. A small theory started creeping into her head. Jeremy had mentioned that Krithika didn't appear to pay for the wolves in register with all the customers' name. Krithika was supposedly the usual customer who bought only werewolves from tooth-necklace lady. By that, Maddy assumed that Krithika regularly bought werewolves from tooth-necklace lady but what if Krithika was actually working for the 'boss?'

That would explain a lot of things. Like why Krithika got those wolves for free and how she had so much of money. Silver cages weren't exactly cheap to buy. The 'boss' clearly had a lot of money and he probably paid Krithika handsomely for doing those experiments. If Krithika did figure out a way to kill a large number of werewolves, this could help the 'boss' wipe out the entire Amalthea, Callisto and Megaclite pack.

Maddy hurried away. She needed to free all the werewolves and destroy the entire building. There was no way she could allow Krithika to indirectly kill so many innocent werewolves.

Just as Maddy was about to enter the next room someone grabbed the back of her shirt. Startled, Maddy turned around and found herself face to face with Krithika. Maddy gulped audibly. There went her plan of saving all the werewolves.

"Who are you and what are you doing in here?" Krithika hissed at her as her nails dug into Maddy's shoulder.

Maddy squirmed. Those nails were literally lethal weapons. She remained silent as she scanned for ways to escape from Krithika's scrutiny. Krithika reached for her pocket and brought out a walkie-talkie.

"I need security on floor number three. We have an intruder here," Krithika barked into the walkie-talkie.

Using this opportunity, Maddy kicked Krithika and darted out of her grip. For the first time, Maddy had the advantage in the fight. All the others times she had to fight werewolves who were bigger, stronger and faster than her but now that she was against a human, she was stronger and faster one.

Maddy ran towards the staircase with Krithika following behind. She needed to leave this floor immediately. She didn't want to encounter security. One human she could handle easily but a group of men coming at her? She wasn't that sure. Not to mention the fact that they could be carrying guns with them.

First, she needed to deal with Krithika. Maddy wanted to kill her but she needed information first. Deciding to knock her out, Maddy turned around. Just as Krithika was within her reach, Maddy used side of her palm to hit Krithika on the place where her neck connected with her shoulder on the right side. It was a knock out technique that Jeremy taught her and it worked perfectly. Krithika dropped down, unconscious. Now that Krithika wasn't following her, Maddy turned her attention to the staircase.

Maddy had just climbed down a few steps when she heard footsteps approaching. Eyes widening, Maddy ran backward. After reaching the third floor Maddy looked down the staircase to find three men running up the staircase. They were holding guns and shouting. Maddy hid behind the wall just as bullets whizzed past the place where she had been standing a few seconds ago.

Heart thumping because of the close call, Maddy looked around, trying to find something that she could use to defend herself. Her eyes locked on a cart stationed nearby. The cart contained some colorful bottles that Maddy assumed contained chemicals. Grabbing the cart, Maddy steered it towards the staircase and pushed it down the stairs. The three men didn't have time to escape. The car hit them and all the chemicals fell. Luckily, no sort of explosion happened but the crash did make a lot of noise.

Maddy waited for two seconds to see if the three men were unconscious. Unlike the werewolves, the humans didn't have healing abilities so that crash should have knocked them out. Just as Maddy predicted, the three guys were out cold. Maddy could have killed them while they were unconscious but she refrained from doing that.

The guards probably didn't have anything to do with the werewolves. They were most probably hired just for brute strength. If Maddy managed to kill Krithika and the head scientist working with her, the guards couldn't cause any harm to the werewolves. Until Maddy was proved wrong, she would give them the benefit of doubt. Knocking them out was a better option. Maddy didn't want innocent blood on her hands.

Maddy climbed down the stairs until she reached where they were lying. Searching their pockets, Maddy found three similar bunch of keys. Pocketing the keys, Maddy searched the cart. The chemicals could come in handy. It was a good thing that Maddy was good at Chemistry because it might just save her and many other werewolves' lives. There were few containers containing chemicals that hadn't broken during the crash. They were all labeled and neatly maintained. Maddy found a bunch of plastic bags inside the cart. Opening one of the bags, Maddy put the unbroken containers in it.

Maddy made her way to the second floor. She was about to open the door of one of the rooms in that floor when she saw five men running towards her. They didn't have guns with them but they did outnumber her. Maddy sighed. Couldn't a girl get a break?