|50| Madison

"Cool! First question- Who do you work for?"

"I don't work for anyone," Krithika said.

"Lies," Maddy said as she shook her head with disappointment. "I heard you before. You work for werewolves. Now can we answer truthfully this time?"

"I am not answering that question."

"Come on!" Maddy protested. "You can ask me the same question but I can't?"

"No."

"Fine. I'll rephrase my question. Do you work for the person who provides you with all the werewolves?"

Krithika's eyes widened for a millisecond before it went back to normal. Maddy wouldn't have noticed it if she hadn't been looking for it. This proved Maddy's theory. Krithika did work for tooth-necklace lady.

"I buy the werewolves. No one provides me with them."

"Okay," Maddy said as she nodded. She had already gotten her answer.

"Now, answer my question. Who do you work for?"

"Well..." Maddy said as she closed her eyes and tried to call her dagger towards her.

"Well what?"

"Give me one minute. I am trying to remember his name," Maddy said as she furiously tried to call the dagger.

"I am getting impatient!" Krithika said as she pressed the trigger of the gun. A bullet whizzed past Maddy's ear and got embedded in the wall behind Maddy. Maddy who had her eyes closed, jumped up with fright and leapt out of her chair.

"What the hell?" she said as she walked a little closer, hoping that the dagger would be easier to call from a shorter distance. "I told you I would answer. I am trying to recall his name. He has some big and weird name. Wait one minute."

Maddy didn't dare to close her eyes again in case Krithika decided to shoot her again. Ella had mentioned being able to call the dagger without closing the eyes and that was what Maddy was hoping for. Maddy stared at the dagger sitting on the table.

"Lux," she whispered.

At first, nothing happened. Th dagger just sat there. After repeatedly whispering, Maddy finally could see a faint glow around the dagger. Maddy then tried imagining that the dagger was moving towards her.

Maddy had expected it to not work but she was surprised when the dagger started moving slowly. Maddy imagined it moving faster and the dagger started accelerating.

Maddy had been so focused on calling the dagger that she had completely forgotten about Krithika. It wasn't until Maddy heard the sound of Krithika cocking her gun that her attention snapped towards Krithika.

"Wait!" Maddy called out but that didn't stop Krithika from shooting the bullet. Unlike what happened in the movies, Maddy didn't have any time to dodge the bullet. In the blink of the eye the bullet hit her leg and Maddy crumpled to the ground.

"I warned you to not move from that chair," Krithika said as she grinned and cocked the gun once again, aiming at Maddy.

At first, her injured leg didn't hurt much. Maddy felt a small sting but that was it. Maddy had expected red and hot pain to consume her but nothing of that sort happened. She allowed herself to hope. Maybe she had some pain resistant magic abilities or maybe there was something unique about her that made her resistant to the bullet. That was usually what happened with the main characters of the books right? They were always special and more powerful as compared to the rest of the characters. With confidence, Maddy tried to get up and that's when things went wrong.

The moment her injured leg touched the ground, pain like nothing she had ever experienced shot up her leg. Maddy whimpered as tears threatened to spill from her eyes. Werewolf pain resistance would be really helpful but no, she had to be a human. The sprain that she had gotten a few weeks ago seemed like a measly walk in the park compared to the pain that she was experiencing at that point of time.

"Since you didn't heed my warning, I made sure that you won't be able to move," Krithika said.

Maddy quickly wiped the tears away. She wouldn't regret killing Krithika. Maddy blinked back all the tears that were about to fall. She needed a clear vision to kill Krithika. She would have only one shot to do it without alerting Krithika. This was not the time to dwell on her pain. The sudden pain seemed to have broken the concentration Maddy needed to call the dagger and the dagger just floated on the air. Maddy closed her eyes and discreetly held her palm out. It was easier and faster to call the dagger with her eyes closed and with a whizz of air, the dagger landed on her palm.

Without waiting for another second, Maddy threw the dagger, aiming for Krithika's heart. Maddy's throw must have been slow because Krithika's eyes widened and she pressed the trigger of the gun she was holding. The dagger flew and hit Krithika perfectly at her chest. Krithika let go of the gun as she staggered back because of the force of the dagger.

Maddy didn't get the chance to rejoice because at that point, the bullet hit her left shoulder. With a groan, Maddy fell back. She was already sitting awkwardly on the floor and the force of the bullet made her fall with her back hitting the floor.

Maddy closed her eyes and focused on breathing in and out. Unlike the leg wound, her shoulder her without her even trying to move it. Maddy focused on counting the small blessings. She was lucky that the bullet hadn't hit her chest. Krithika had been aiming for her heart though the dagger aimed for her had distracted her and Maddy ended up with the bullet hitting her chest.

Maddy tried getting up but it took too much of her energy to sit back up. She gave up after three tries. Maddy read stories about characters fighting with ten bullet wounds. How the hell did they do that? Maddy was as useless as a doll after just two bullets.

Focusing on her breathing, Maddy tried to figure how to save herself. The faerie medicine could save her but it was back at the hotel. Maddy couldn't even get up. How was she supposed to get her hands on that bottle? Remembering that she had messaged Xander, Maddy fished out her phone from her pocket using her right hand.

Unlocking her phone using only one hand was a bit tricky but Maddy managed to do it. Immediately a notification popped up saying that she had a missed call. Dismissing the notification, she went to her text messages with Xander. It showed that Xander had seen her urgent message.

Maddy tried to call Xander to let him know that he should get the faerie medicine was but he seemed to be on another call. Maddy tried calling Jeremy as well but he too seemed to be on another call. When Alexa's call reached her voicemail, Maddy quickly started speaking. She told them where she was located, where the faerie medicine was and where she had last seen all the werewolves she had freed. She also mentioned her theory of Krithika working for the 'boss.'

After ending the call, Maddy stared at her phone unsure what to do. Her eyes felt heavy and falling asleep sounded really amazing but she didn't know if she would wake up ever again. It was best not to gamble with her life. Bored as hell, Maddy spent her time counting from hundred to one.