|30| Madison

Maddy recalled hearing the name Ella somewhere but she couldn't remember where. She shook Ella's hand.

"Were you the faerie who wanted to meet me?" Maddy asked.

Ella nodded. That was when Maddy remembered where she had heard the name Ella before. "You are the faerie Lila is bonded to," Maddy said with wide eyes.

Even though Lila told Maddy that the faeries were immortal unless they were killed in battle, Maddy found it hard to believe that the faeries never grew old. Lila said that the battle for which Ella had left, happened long time ago. So long ago that Lila couldn't even remember it. Seeing Ella in front of her, felt like seeing someone back from the dead. Strange, freaky but cool nevertheless.

Ella nodded once again. "That's what I wanted to talk to you about. I heard that you had Lila's necklace with you when you came here."

Ella insisted that Maddy should sit down first before they started talking. There was a couch in a nearby room and the two of them along with Ixana sat down.

When they both were comfortably seated and Ixana was busy playing with some toy that her mom gave her, Ella folded her hands and started talking, "I wanted to know where Lila is right now."

"You don't know where Lila is?" Maddy asked perplexed. "You are the one who hid her there!"

"I had to leave my smo for the war that took place among the faeries. In the battle, I hit my head and lost my memory. I don't remember anything before the battlefield so I don't know where Lila is."

Maddy felt extremely bad for her. She couldn't imagine waking up in the battlefield with no memory of anything before. Still, she couldn't let her guard down. This could be some sort of a trick.

"How did you know that you had a smo if you lost all your memory?" Maddy asked.

"Other faeries told me about Lila. I tried searching for her everywhere but I couldn't find her. When I heard that you had Lila's necklace, I immediately asked her highness to talk to you."

Maddy nodded. "I'll tell you where Lila is but, I have one condition." Maddy took out her dagger from her shoe and showed it to Ella. "There are some inscriptions on my dagger. Lila told me that they were written in some old fae language. She couldn't tell me what the inscriptions said but she told me that a faerie could tell me what it meant."

Ella took the dagger from Maddy with curiosity. Like Tatiana, she too examined it carefully. She seemed surprised that Maddy had such a dagger. "Where did you get it from? This is an old faerie weapon."

Maddy shrugged. "The matefinder gave it to me."

"Ah," Ella said as understanding dawned on her eyes. Even Tatiana had made a similar reaction when Maddy told her that Tatiana gave it to her. Unable to hold back her curiosity, Maddy asked what was so special about the matefinder and the dagger.

"Do you know how the matefinder came into being? Her mother was a faerie while her father was a werewolf. That is why the matefinder, too is immortal like us faeries. She originally stayed with us in the Faerie Realm with her mother."

Maddy's lips parted with surprise. She never thought about how the matefinder had all the special powers. She just assumed that the matefinder was special but the story was extremely intriguing. "What happened next?"

"She later realized that she saw visions of the future and could help the werewolves find their mates. She moved out of here. She had her own fae powers which she used to make her house. The one which requires a blood sacrifice to be summoned. For her protection against rogues and other dangers, she took a few weapons with her. Your dagger is one of the weapons the matefinder took with her while leaving the faeries."

Maddy stared at her dagger with renewed interest. That was unexpected. She hadn't known all the history behind the dagger. "What does the inscriptions say?"

Ella pursed her lips and started re-examining the dagger. By then, Ixana had lost her interest in the toy given to her and she toddled over to Maddy. Maddy grinned and picked the girl up and made her sit on her lap. Maddy bopped Ixana on her nose and Ixana immediately giggled and tried catching her finger. Ella looked alarmed but didn't draw out her bow this time.

"It's just something that humans do with little kids," Maddy said reassuringly. Ella relaxed a little bit and went back to examining the dagger.

After sometime Ella spoke up. "The inscriptions give the dagger a special ability. Someone inscribed the letters to weave a spell around the dagger."

Maddy's head snapped towards Ella. Her dagger had special abilities?

Now that Maddy's attention was not on Ixana, Ixana started getting bored. Once again, she started playing with Maddy's hair and managed to get her chubby fingers tangled in her hair. On seeing what Ixana was doing, her mother immediately took Ixana from Maddy while she apologized for Ixana's behavior but Maddy didn't mind it.

"What special ability?" Maddy asked curiously.

"After throwing the dagger, if you concentrate hard enough, the dagger should return back to your hand."

Maddy's jaw dropped. "Like Thor's hammer?"

Ella looked lost. "Whose hammer?"

Maddy shook her head. "Never mind. Do you know how I can do it?"

Ella looked around her shoulder to make sure that no one was listening in on their conversation. "Today at midnight, I'll reach out to you. Until then, don't contact me."

Ella picked up Ixana from Maddy's lap and without saying a word, she flew away.

Maddy was surprised that Ella was willing to teach her how to do the Thor trick. The way that Ella looked behind her shoulder before telling Maddy to meet her at midnight made it clear that she wasn't supposed to be disclosing such information.

Maddy didn't know why Ella was ready to disclose the information to Maddy, but Maddy was grateful for it. Unlike the smos, the faeries were tricky creatures who wouldn't give anything until they got something back in return. Maddy had expected Ella to bargain for something in return for teaching her how to do the Thor trick but Ella just told her to meet her at midnight. Maybe all the faeries weren't cunning and evil creatures, Maddy decided. Maybe she had just met the wrong set of faeries *cough* Tatiana *cough*.