|35| Madison

Maddy had no idea how much time had passed since she had been crouching behind the tree. Maddy grimaced as she saw some sort of insect flying near the tree where she was hiding. She was still uncomfortable with insects but she had adjusted herself to it. Everywhere she went, she was surrounded by trees and with trees came insects. Take the headquarters of Amalthea Pack for example. That place was surrounded by trees on all sides. Werewolves needed nature around them. If Maddy wanted to join the pack, she would need to get used to nature.

Maddy was so distracted by the insect that she nearly missed the faeries who were flying a little above the ground. They flew low enough that they could scout to see if the werewolves were waiting for them and high enough so that the werewolves don't reach them. Luckily, Maddy had anticipated that the faeries would be trying to find them. The trees that they were hiding behind, hid them well.

Maddy would have never been able to tell that the faeries were nearby had it not been for the snow. As predicted, the faeries had put on an illusion on themselves so that it resembled the background of the mountain. What they hadn't thought about was the snow. When the snow that was falling from the sky landed on the faeries, it disappeared because of the illusion. That made it easy for Maddy to track where the faeries were.

"The faeries are coming," Maddy whispered to alert the others.

"Where?" Alexa said as she squinted and looked around.

"The snow just disappears all of a sudden in that direction," Maddy said as she discreetly pointed at the direction of the faeries.

Xander slowly got ready and shifted. Maddy was afraid that the faeries spotted them because of the movement when they did move closer to them, Maddy relaxed. Jeremy too shifted.

Maddy stared at Jeremy's wolf. Now that she thought about it, she had never seen Jeremy or Leia shift. Jeremy's wolf was a blackish grey in color which faded to a brown color when it reached his paws. The way his eyes glinted, it was clear that the wolf was already analyzing all the different ways to take down the faeries.

Maddy got up slightly so that she could run too with the three other wolves. But before she ran, she needed to do something. She took the two bullets that were lying beside her and buried them under the snow. Just as she crouched to run after the faeries, a paw pushed Maddy lightly. Maddy turned to find Xander's wolf. Although Alexa and Xander's wolves looked similar, there were subtle differences that helped her differentiate the two. Xander's wolf was bigger and had slightly lighter green eyes.

Maddy gave a questioning glance towards Xander. When he didn't make any other motions Maddy turned back to crouching. Immediately Xander barked softly. Maddy turned. Xander's wolf shook his head and placed it's paw on Maddy's lap. It was clear what he was trying to say. He didn't want her to go out there.

"Hell no," Maddy whispered. "I am going out there."

Once again, Xander barked softly and put his front paws on Maddy's shoulder. He was quite huge, bigger than Maddy when she was crouching.

"That's so not fair. I want to participate too," Maddy whined.

"He says that you don't have any weapon with you. You might end up getting hurt," Alexa whispered before shifting.

Maddy glared at Xander. He was right, but she still wanted to help in some way.

Maddy and Xander were so caught up in their conversation that they didn't notice that the faeries had descended low enough for the wolves to attack. Jeremy growled to warn the two of them. Without a word, or rather, a growl, Xander started running towards the faeries. In one leap he brought the faeries down. The illusion immediately disappeared as the faeries lost their concentration.

Immediately Alexa ran towards the faeries as well while Jeremy trotted towards Maddy.

"You can't be taking Xander seriously. I want to fight too," Maddy told Jeremy. "You taught me how to fight without weapons. When will I use those techniques if you don't let me fight?"

Jeremy didn't seem to hear anything. Using his paw, he drew a circle around Maddy. Growling, he tapped the circle twice and then ran to join the fight.

"Unbelievable," Maddy grumbled with frustration. Jeremy had drawn a circle around and had given clear instructions. Don't step out of the circle.

Maddy crossed her arms across her chest. She had promised Tristan and Justin that she would follow Xander's orders. She didn't want to break that promise but she sure as hell wouldn't sit out of the fight.

The circle that Jeremy drew was big enough for her to move around. She couldn't see what was happening in the fight because of the tree in front of her but when she sat at the extreme end of the circle, she could see the fight clearly.

Taking up a scoop of snow from the ground nearby, Maddy rolled it into a ball. When she finished, she looked up to see Cordelia sneaking away while the other faeries kept the werewolves busy. She held the egg in her arms. In the blink of an eye, Cordelia put up an illusion on herself. Taking aim, Maddy threw the snowball at Cordelia's direction. It hit her and the illusion disappeared.

The snowball didn't hurt her. After all it was only made of snow, but it did make her lose her grip on the egg. Cordelia dived to catch the egg. If the egg broke because of the faeries, the werewolves would win. Cordelia caught it just before it hit the ground. She looked around to know who threw the snowball, but by then Maddy was hiding behind the trees.

Maddy grinned as she made more snowballs. Clearly, the faeries never played a snowball fight. This was going to be fun. When she stepped away from the tree, she saw that Cordelia was now busy fighting Alexa while Jeremy was taking care of Axel. Xander seemed to be fighting Nick and Brigette. He could use some help, Maddy decided.

Taking the first snowball from the pile she made, she threw it at Nick. It soared and smacked him in the face. He stumbled with surprise and fell on his butt. Xander who had been about pounce on him, whirled his snout to Maddy's direction. When he saw her, he grinned at her wolfishly. Maddy took the second snowball and threw it at Brigette who was about to attack Xander from the air. It went and hit her wings. With a cry of surprise, Brigette fell to the ground. Just as she hit the ground, her eyes locked with Maddy's and she grinned evilly.