|22| Madison

Maddy whipped around but couldn't see anyone. All that she could see was trees, trees and more trees. Xander and Jeremy had similar confused expressions on their face. Alexa however, growled and took a defensive position.

"Who's there?" Xander growled.

Whoever was hiding must have had some serious magic. Even Xander and Jeremy weren't able to figure out where the hidden person was. Alexa was the only one who could sense the danger, probably because she was in her wolf form. Maddy gripped her dagger tightly and waited for the person to show their face. However, without knowing where the enemy was, her dagger was useless.

Alexa growled and leapt in the air but before she could even cause damage to the hidden person, Alexa was thrown back. She hit the tree hard. She immediately got up and shook her head from side to side. Jeremy shifted and started prowling near the enemy. Maddy threw her dagger in the direction where Alexa had jumped. She hoped to at least injure the invisible enemy.

An invisible hand caught hold of the dagger midair. Then, the invisible enemy reveled herself. Maddy held her breath and stared at the girl standing in front of her.

Like the matefinder, she had some sort of a radiance around her that screamed beauty. She had pale silverish hair and pale skin that gave her an Elsa vibe. She wore a midnight blue gown and a similar colored tiara kind of thing on her head. But that wasn't what caught Maddy's attention. Behind the girl's shoulders was a pair of silvery white, translucent wings. They looked to be extremely intricate and delicate. One of her eyes was blue in color while the other was green. As if that wasn't freaky enough, she even had pointed ears.

"A faerie," Maddy whispered with awe and fear.

That explained everything. How the washroom disappeared and the brown colored building appeared. Maddy had figured that it was a faerie's power but she didn't think that a faerie lived so close by. It also explained why they couldn't find the building after killing all the bad guys. It was a simple trick of illusion. Faeries were supposedly experts in making illusions and tricking people, so it should have been simple. She must have put another illusion on herself which was why they couldn't see or smell her. Alexa had been in her wolf form so she must have smelt small traces of the faerie.

Maddy immediately went on defensive mode. The faeries were clearly the enemies. They had helped the people from the dark market. Maddy glared at the faerie.

The faerie was currently inspecting the dagger that Maddy had thrown at her. The dagger still had some dried blood on it but the faerie didn't seem to mind that. She was more interested in the handle of the dagger.

"Why would a group of four werewolves have a silver dagger with them?" the faerie mused out aloud as she traced the inscription on the dagger's handle. "I thought werewolves couldn't touch silver."

Maddy cleared her throat. "I am not a werewolf."

The faerie's eyes twinkled as she inspected Maddy. "Yes. You smell different. But you spend a lot of time when these werewolves which is why you have traces of werewolf in your aura."

Maddy shifted her feet uncomfortably. She didn't like being under the scrutiny of the faerie. As far as story books were concerned, the faeries were supposed to be cunning creatures. So, what was the faerie's plan?

"You still didn't answer my question. Why should I not kill all of you right now?" the faerie said as she did something with her hand and Maddy's dagger disappeared.

"My dagger!" Maddy cried out as she took a step forward. Xander immediately pulled her back. Maddy had gotten attached to the dagger and it was her only defense against the rogues.

"It is not yours. It belongs to the faeries."

Maddy scowled. "Well, the matefinder gave it to me which means it is mine now. Give it back to me."

She thought that the faeries would be kind enough to tell her what the symbols on her dagger meant. Lila had been so sweet. Maddy had expected the faeries to be similar but they were proving to be quite the opposite. Instead of helping her, the faerie just took her dagger.

"The matefinder, you say?" the faerie said with interest in her eyes as she walked forward towards Maddy. Maddy nodded.

"Well, we'll discuss of the dagger later. First tell me why are you here, near the faerie realm?"

"We stumbled upon this place by mistake," Xander said as he stepped forward and not so subtly pushed Maddy behind him.

Maddy couldn't see from behind Xander so she tried to step around him when Jeremy stopped her. "He's the Alpha. When an enemy is in front of the pack, the Alpha takes the place in the front to protect his pack while the Beta brings up the rear. You and Alexa should stay in the middle."

Maddy frowned. "But-"

Maddy was cut off by the sound of soft hiss. In the next second an arrow flew towards their group, missing Xander by an inch and hit the ground with a thump sound.

Alexa growled and darted from her place between Xander and Jeremy to go and jump on top of the faerie. Once again, she was thrown backwards.

"What the hell?" Xander asked.

The faerie smiled. "That was just a warning. My soldiers are getting impatient. You still haven't given us a reason to not kill you for trespassing."

"Soldiers? What soldiers?" Xander asked in a sharp tone.

Maddy looked around but couldn't find any soldiers either.

The faerie laughed. It was an extremely sweet laugh which sounded like wind chimes for some reason. "You really didn't think that I would come without defense, did you?"

"An illusion," Xander growled and started looking around.

"Time is ticking!"

That's when Maddy remembered the necklace she had been wearing. She had completely forgotten about it. It was stupid of her to forget something that important. Maddy tried to move towards the faerie to show her the necklace but she was stopped by Jeremy.

"What are you doing?" he hissed. "I thought I told you to stay behind Xander."

Maddy shrugged his hand off and moved forward. "We are not your enemies. I have uh... this necklace to prove it. It was given to me by a smo."

The faeries eyes widened and she darted forward and grabbed the necklace. She took her time to inspect the necklace properly.

"It isn't fake," she mused out loud once again. "Then, indeed you have not come here to harm us."

She smiled at Maddy and waved her hands. Immediately the illusion disappeared, and Maddy could see about ten faeries and all of them had their arrows pointed towards their small group. The four of them wouldn't have stood a chance against the faeries. On hearing, the main faerie, they all lowered their bows. Maddy let out a sigh of relief. They were going to be killed. For now.