Chapter 8

Even though it's mid-September and should be hot, the days are beginning to get colder. I feel like I'm freezing every time the wind blows against my face as I sit on the grass watching Sasha try out skating for the first time, with Ymir and Historia trying to help her. We're at the park where Eren showed up with his girlfriend, but this time there's no anxiety or shame building up inside of me. It's cloudy, and it would be a gloomy day if I wasn't with my friends, but at least Jean's hoodie is keeping me warm. A few days have passed since Hange's birthday, and I haven't spoken to Jean or Eren since that night.

"Grab onto my arms and try to step on the board. You need to learn how to step on it before we can do anything else," Ymir says to Sasha, trying to balance her with Historia standing behind Sasha to catch her incase she falls. I wonder if she thought Eren looked 'cool' and wanted to try it out.

"I literally have the worst balance," Sasha groans while gripping tightly onto Ymir's arms, placing one foot on the skateboard before shakily putting the other one right after while it rolls back and forth.

Ymir lets out a laugh, before pulling away from Sasha's grasp, "You got this. Just balance."

Sasha maintains her balance, preventing herself from falling on her ass, as she gets comfortable with the feeling of the board. Historia cheers for her while Sasha smiles and looks over at me, "I did it!"

I clap for her and give her a thumbs up right after. She's so happy, I'm so proud of her. I would help her if I had any idea on how to skate. I know Ymir's been skating for a few years, but Historia doesn't skate, she's just tagging along with her. "You sure did, but now I need to teach you how to actually push off," Ymir says.

At least I wasn't moping around these past few days. I finally got to spend more time with Sasha and hang out like we used to, but I can't even begin to think about how I completely embarrassed myself in front of Jean. But it's in the past now, and I can't dwell on it. I lay down in the grass and spread my arms out, feeling the cold grass in between my fingers. Closing my eyes, I listen to the leaves rustling in the trees along with the faint sound of birds chirping. It's so calming that I could almost fall asleep.

Along with the sounds of nature, I hear soft swishing of the grass from distinctive footsteps heading in my direction, and assume that it's Sasha coming to grab her water bottle.

A skateboard drops and lands onto the grass. "Hey. You skate now?"

I look up and see Eren standing over me with red eyes and a navy blue beanie on, a chain dangles around his neck as he looks down at me. He seems to find me no matter where I am, even when he's high. "Nah, but Sasha's learning."

Eren looks up at Sasha balancing on the board, and says loud enough for her to hear, "Good job, you're gonna be a pro in no time."

"Thanks, Eren!" She replies, excited that she's able to stand on the board without holding onto Ymir or Historia.

"You have a good teacher, too."

"Of course she does," Ymir remarks.

Eren lets out a laugh and looks back down at me, gesturing his hand towards the ground. I pat the patch of grass next to me and he gets down on the floor to lay beside me. I stare up at the large clouds, watching them slowly move in the sky, completely blocking the sun. "It's a beautiful day."

I don't break my gaze away from the clouds, but I can see Eren look over at me from the corner of my eye. He takes a moment to respond, but then speaks in a low octave, "Yeah, beautiful, huh."

I take a deep breath of fresh air and feel it relax my body even more. His hand brushes against mine in the grass, but I don't give in. It feels as if all of my worries are gone as the two of us lay here in the grass with the wind drowning out any other sound, except for the one worry laying right next to me. I kissed Jean a few nights ago and now I'm here with Eren, as if nothing ever happened, and I can't help but feel shitty about it.