Chapter 23

Eren's leaning against the counter with a black bottle of cheap red wine, labeled as ​​Ménage à Trois, in his hand. Two clear wine glasses are set on the surface in front of him as he pours the red liquid about halfway into each of the cups. As he watches the wine settles into the glasses, he places the bottle back down on the counter before closing it. I watch as he leans over to hover his nose over one of the glasses before taking a sniff of the wine.

"What're you even doing?" I laugh while walking into the kitchen to stand on the opposite side of the counter from him. Propping my elbows on the granite surface, I lean forward while raising an eyebrow.

"Pretending I'm a wine connoisseur," he says lightheartedly with a beaming smile on his face.

I let out a small laugh before reaching over to grab the stem of my glass of wine, "you're lucky that you're cute."

His hand reaches for the bottom of the wine glass to hold as if he's been studying wine for at least ten years. "I have to make sure that I'm serving the best wine to the love of my life," he says with a small chuckle as he lifts up his glass. I lift my glass from off the counter to gently tap his glass with mine before taking a sip. It's strong taste but sweet all at the same time as it settles on my taste-buds before sliding down my throat.

A smile quickly grows on my face while watching Eren set his glass down on the counter. "Happy New Year's Eve, love."

"Happy New Year's Eve, beautiful," he replies as he leans over the counter to meet me halfway across it, planting a gentle kiss against my lips. "Honestly, I'm surprised you're my girlfriend. You're so pretty and you could've been with anyone else, but you chose me and I'm the one who gets to kiss you at midnight."

"You're kidding, right?" I ask as I lift myself up from resting on the counter to only lean my stomach against the side, "Anyone would die to have you, I just got lucky."

"But look at you," he assures, "when was the last time you looked in a mirror?"

I shift my body-weight to my legs as I step away from the counter, walking around it to stand on the same side as Eren. My hand reaches outwards to grab onto his hand, which is resting at his side, before holding onto it carefully. His hand's warm from the heat being turned on because of how cold it is outside, making him produce more body heat than usual. It's been cold lately, given that it's the last day of December and it's the dead of winter. "Eren, if I only loved you for your looks then I wouldn't have stayed with you through everything. I've told you, I want to experience life with you." I squeeze his hand and take a few steps closer to him. "Your looks were a bonus, though," I tease while tilting my head up to give him a kiss on his cheek.

Today is New Year's Eve and I'm fortunate enough to spend it with Eren. I'd never thought we'd make it this far because we were so toxic for each other at one point, but I'd never change anything if it meant that we couldn't be where we are today. He's going to be my first ever New Year's kiss, but we just plan on getting drunk off wine in the meantime.

"I hate to talk about the past," he starts off with, "but I wish I would've kissed you back then. I regret not kissing you while you were sitting on the couch next to me at Mikasa's eighteenth birthday party. And it was heartbreaking watching you cry during your speech and I barely even knew you. You really do care about your friends, don't you?"

I wish he would've kissed me, too. I wonder how different things would be now if we did something at that party, but it doesn't matter anymore. I didn't even know that he wanted to kiss me, but I wish I could tell that to my younger self. I wonder how shocked she'd be if I told her that she gets to wake up next to Eren every day. "Yeah, I'm closer to my friends than my family. It's sad watching everyone grow up, especially since I'm leaving soon."