Chapter 39

a/n: it's still christmas in california so this is my christmas gift to you guys <3. if you don't celebrate, I still hope u enjoy the chapter. i love u all <3. happy holidays !

____________________________________-

My hand tightens around Eren's fingers while muttering, "fuck," underneath my breath as the needle of the tattoo gun makes contact with my skin.

Eren lets out a soft laugh before speaking in a low voice, "it'll go by quick, babe. I'm right here."

My vision which was fixated on Eren is now shifted toward the window of the tattoo shop, noticing the people walking along the sidewalk with palm trees gently rustling from the slight breeze. I pay close attention to the sunset over the horizon, watching the reflection of the orange and pink hues spread across the rippling currents. I wish days like these were endless.

Even though Eren and I are still trying to recover from the whole Hitch situation, I still wanted to do something special for his birthday. He's given me so many once-in-a-lifetime experiences and I don't know how I would ever repay him. We're both unable to stay away from home for too long because we both have class, but I was able to book a beautiful hotel room at a beach, which overlooks the ocean and gives us a decent amount of privacy. I still love him to death and want him to know that we're a forever kind of thing, regardless of upcoming circumstances.

Eren leans down to plant a kiss on my forehead and I catch a glimpse of his wrapped up fresh tattoo around his wrist. "It's not too bad," I hesitate while feeling the needle rapidly poke at my skin.

There's a tattoo parlor not too far of a walking distance from the hotel and I wanted to surprise him by getting matching tattoos. We just want to be able to remember each other when we're apart, even if tattoos are permanent.

A grin tugs at the corner of my mouth as I look back up at him as he stands next to me, looking down at me as I sit in a chair with a needle digging into my skin. "I know lavender's your favorite," I cheer with lifted brows.

Every time Eren gives me a bouquet of flowers, it always consists of lavender. It's his favorite color as well, so I took him here to get matching lavender stem tattoos on our wrists.

He squeezes my hand as he reassures, "one more thing to check off of our bucket list." His eyes shift over to the tattoo artist carefully inking the drawing into my skin as he says, "now I can remember you forever."

Without moving the arm that's getting tatted, I turn my head to look back at the gun, trying to brush off the sadness wanting to grow in my stomach. "Don't talk like that," I murmur before pressing my lips together, "but you're right. You're permanently ingrained in my skin."

My teeth sink in my bottom lip as the needle digs into more sensitive parts of my skin. I feel Eren's thumb caress over my fingers, trying to calm me down with only his presence. I try to avoid thinking about the tattoo process by letting my mind drift, reflecting back on the history of our relationship. Who would've known that one stupid ride home would've given me a different life?

The needle comes to a sudden stop and I feel cloth rub against my skin to wipe off any excess ink or blood. I sit in silence as I smell the scent of soap before feeling it being scrubbed on my arm to sanitize the area. My eyes glance back up at Eren as there's a sound of film being crinkled before the tattoo artist wraps my wrist with the material.

As he rests my arm back on the surface, the tattoo artist says, "you're all set."

I stand up from the chair as I break my gaze away from Eren, saying an appreciative "thank you," to the artist as I bend forward, reaching my arm downward to lift my beach bag up off of the floor.