Chapter 11

the playlist for poison is in my bio, along with my aot discord server !
__________________________________

Eren's already out of the kitchen before I have any time to respond. The expression on his face was pure anger, distorted and apoplectic with rage, something I've never seen from him before. As if he hates me, absolutely despising me. It's the worst thing I've ever seen in my life, and I can't explain the feeling in my heart as it drops to my stomach, or the tight grasp on my neck from shame suffocating me.

I didn't mean to do that, I swear he wasn't supposed to see them. Armin's breathing heavily, standing there as if he's mourning for the dead. If he's that worried, I can't imagine how worried I'm supposed to be. Tonight wasn't supposed to happen like this, but it's too late to take it back. I'm left feeling helpless, and I don't know what to do.

"Look," Armin mumbles and tosses the ice pack on the counter, not caring if it melts. "You need to go talk to him. He's gonna leave, and you need to catch him before he does."

"What? I didn't do anyth–"

"You need to trust me."

I nod while making my way out of the kitchen, feeling the grip around my neck tighten. I can't catch my own breath, and I just might pass out. The lack of fresh air in the house isn't helping, especially with all these bodies packed so tightly together that it creates an insufferable heat. There's no yelling and no punches being thrown, just Eren leaving the building. I navigate myself to the entrance, something I normally wouldn't be able to do alone, but I'm running on autopilot. I force myself through the door to step outside, taking a deep breath of the cool air to calm down and try stabilizing myself.

He's already walking to his car, without Zeke, just by himself. I need to catch up to him, but I'm afraid. If he gives me that look again, I don't know what I'll do.

I don't know why he reacted like that, or why Armin's so nervous about him. I wasn't using Jean to get back at Eren, and I wasn't using him as a tactic to get over him, either. I just don't understand him. He won't confirm nor deny if he's dating Hitch, but I refuse to be a homewrecker regardless, and I can't risk doing that. I'd hate to be cheated on.

At the end of the day, he'll just choose Hitch over me, I guess.

I quickly make my way over to him and stand a few feet from behind him, trying to form coherent thoughts, "Eren, please."

He doesn't even turn around. He just keeps walking, ignoring my plea. I can't tell if he's intentionally ignoring me, or if he's just too lost in his mind to acknowledge me. I'm stuck, and I can feel myself starting to panic.

I want to convince myself that he deserves this, that it's his karma for treating me like shit. For him fucking me and leaving me alone for weeks at a time. But I can't justify the hickies, or the fact that I'm completely sober, or that I have to chase Eren to his car and apologize for his horrid anger that I caused. He took me to his favorite, special spot and I disregarded it. He opened up to me, about Zeke, about his mom, about his own guilt that eats him alive. And for some awful reason, I keep thinking about how he treated me the first time we hooked up. I wanted to get revenge for so long, just for him to feel what he was making me go through.

I reach forward and grab onto his arm, anything to get him to stop walking, but he doesn't. He doesn't pull his arm away, just keeps walking down the street with me latched onto him. "Can you fucking listen to me?" I beg, trying to dig my heels into the ground to create resistance.

He always told me that me spending time with Jean made him angry, but I didn't realize that he never had an issue with Jean in the first place, or else he'd be going to him right now. His issue is with me.