Chapter 30

My skin is warm from the heat being turned on in my car as I park it against the curb, letting out a sigh while unbuckling my seat to rest comfortably in the seat. There's steam residing on my windows from the heat circulating throughout the space with a wrapped-up gift sitting in the passenger seat. Without the sound of the air blasting, there's complete silence as I stare at the front of Mikasa's house for her birthday.

It's already February 10th. Valentine's Day is only a couple days away and I'm going to be spending it alone.

It feels as if it's been forever since I've last heard from Eren, but I'm the one who suggested we take a break. That's not stopping the revolting weight on my chest from the excruciating pain of missing him. Once he left the library, I haven't heard from him since.

I was surely convinced that he loved me. I can't think of a single reason as to why he's been pushing me away when he's the one who bought us promise rings and told me that he'd marry me if he ever got the chance.

I've just put in so much effort into this relationship with him and he was so quick to brush everything off. I almost gave up my entire life for him.

A sigh leaves my mouth while I rest my hand on the door handle of the car to pull on it before pushing it open, watching it completely extend while I lean over the center console to grab Mikasa's gift. I lift one of my legs to place it on the pavement before lifting the rest of my body out of the car. After my hand gently rests on the door to push it closed, I reach into my purse to grab my car keys and lock my car before setting them down in my bag.

My heart's racing as I hold her gift in my hand, taking careful steps as I walk around the front side of my car to step on the sidewalk. It's hard to get any air as I expect the worse, taking shallow breaths as I walk along the pathway to her front door. It's dark outside and my eyes are still adjusting to the lack of light the closer I reach her house.

It's the first time I'm going to be seeing Eren in days and I can't avoid it because I'd never miss out on Mikasa's birthday. I can already feel the tension between Eren and I because we ended off on bad terms and sure, we aren't officially broken up, but we're not even seeing each other anymore, let alone texting. I miss him, but it's a relief from never feeling like a priority in our relationship.

This is the first time I've ever entered a party alone. Usually I'm accompanied by Sasha, but I'm already running late so I told her that it was fine to head over by herself. The only issue is that everyone is already here, meaning that all eyes will be on me the second I open the front door.

As I reach for the doorknob, the sense of loneliness becomes more evident, taking over my entire body once my hand grabs the knob. Only our friend group is attending as well, which makes the pressure even worse. While twisting the knob to push the door to slowly open it, I make sure to take deep breaths, focusing on controlling my breathing as the door completely opens.

Thankfully, the conversations aren't interrupted as I quickly scan the faces across the room, everyone. Fortunately, everyone is too busy to notice my entrance. I don't get the chance to make out anyone's face because of the darkness of the room with the only light coming from the illuminating TV screen. Sasha jolts up to quickly maneuver to the door to block my vision from the rest of the living room, wrapping her arms around me while cheering, "glad you made it!"

"I'd never miss Mikasa's birthday," I say, muffled by my face being pressed into Sasha's neck to still hide my sight from the rest of the room as I smell the alcohol off of her breath. I wouldn't expect anything different from her, to be honest. She loves to drink.

She finally loosens the grip around me and I notice Mikasa standing to the side of me, blocking the view from the living room as well. "Happy birthday, love," I say to Mikasa, barely noticing the faint shade of pink residing in her cheeks because of the dim lights in the room.