Chapter 12

My muscles are tense once I'm out from underneath his bed and standing in front of him, clenching my phone tightly in my hand. My jaw feels locked while I stare at him with resentment, fire spreading throughout every nerve-ending in my body.

"What the fuck, Eren?" I have to hold myself back from yelling, and I feel like I'm shaking, and I don't know how to stop myself from feeling like this. I want to expose him, to run downstairs and go to Hitch's mom before she gets in her car, and tell her everything. I want to take everything back to the first night we hooked up, and just leave it at that. Friends with benefits was easier than this, and I wish I didn't like him so damn much because then I wouldn't care.

"Wha–"

"You always find some way to humiliate me right after we have a good time," I say in a louder tone, grabbing my bra and dress from the corner of his room, getting ready to leave.

Eren gets out of his bed and stands in front of me. He has this confused look on his face that has to be fake, there's no way he didn't know what he just did. "What're you talking about?" He furrows his brows together and carefully places his hands on my shoulders in a cheap attempt to get me to calm down. I'm frozen with anger, and I hate myself that I always end up like this. If I could control it, I would. But how else am I supposed to act reasonably in this situation? I don't want to hurt him. I hate being his secret, but I guess it's my fault for fucking a guy who's in a relationship. Especially since her mom interrupted us.

"Hiding under your fucking bed, Eren!"

I don't want to look at him right now, but I can't tear my eyes away from his. "What did you want me to do?" He asks.

"I don't know! Maybe not have me hide under your bed like I'm some girl you snuck in," my breathing becomes faster, and I only become more irritated with him touching me. "We aren't in high school!"

"What the fuck was I supposed to do?" His voice raises, barely, but just enough for me to panic. He won't yell at me, and I know that, but I know he's getting angry. He doesn't want to hurt me, but the grip on my shoulders becomes tighter, digging his fingers into my skin. His face twists and I can almost see the anger flood through his body as it overtakes him. This time it's pure exasperation, because he just doesn't know how to fix this and he doesn't understand why I'm so infuriated with him. "Tell Hitch's mom that I was pounding the shit out of some random girl?"

"Oh? So I'm just some random girl to you?"

"What? No! But I thought you were dating Jean for so long. You ignored me for weeks and I find out you're screwing around with him!"

"That didn't stop you from making any advances on me," I say, pulling away from him and making my way towards the door.

I feel Eren's tight grip around my wrist almost immediately, trying to prevent me from leaving. He's not done with this argument, but I just want to leave already. "Stop fucking victimizing yourself! You thought I was dating someone and you still did the same shit."

Thought?

My body freezes up, and my eyes widen while I stare at his bedroom door. I frantically pull away from his grip and swing open his door, but I don't leave just yet. "Did you or did you not tell Armin that you have a girlfriend?" I ask.

As we stand together in the dark, I turn back around to face him. The anger from his body is seemingly dying out, and I can tell that he's trying to calm himself down. Even though our eyes can't get enough of each other, he breaks away from mine and looks down at the ground with a long sigh to follow. What? Is he gonna be sad now? "No– that's not what I meant."

Then what does he mean? I don't even think I'm angry at him, but I'm just letting everything that I've been holding in for the past few weeks out of me. It feels like when you fill a glass of water to the brim, and any slight motion would make it pour out. I care about him, so fucking much. I don't even have time to process what he said.