Epilogue

Eren's POV

- 4 year timeskip -

There's a low and deep rumble coming from up above, quietly shaking the ground as a plane flies overhead. As the sound of the engine fills the entire sky, my eyes shift out of focus as I stare at the grass in front of me while sitting on the bench of a park picnic table.

All I can think about is y/n's flight four years ago.

That was probably the worst day of my life, but I'll never let her know that. She deserves to be happy. She deserves the entire world. I remember hearing her plane take off as I walked up to the front door of my house. Even though there wasn't any way for me to know if that was her plane, somehow I just knew.

She did let me know when she landed, though. We tried to keep in touch over the summer, even had phone sex a few times, but it wasn't the same. Once school started again, we ended up drifting apart and we haven't talked since.

It took me a few months to mentally prepare before reading her journal, and that was the first time I cried since she left. It took about a year to get over the grieving process because I couldn't stop thinking about her. Everything reminded me of her, but things finally got a little easier. Not a day goes by where I don't think about y/n, even if it's just a fleeting thought in my mind.

I still wear our promise ring every single day and wonder if she does, too.

"Eren!"

I shake my head to snap out of my thoughts and shift my focus back to Connie, who's waving a blunt in front of my face as he sits next to me on the bench. "It's your turn," he mumbles while blowing smoke out of his mouth.

Sasha chimes in with a worried tone, lifting an eyebrow as she looks over at me, "what's up with you?" She mindlessly taps the table with her fingers while pursing her lips.

"Oh, nothing," I say underneath my breath while grabbing the blunt with my index finger and thumb. I roll my lips in before placing one end of the blunt between them, taking a deep inhale. It was hard to smoke without y/n for a while, but I eventually had to get over it.

As I blow the smoke out of my nose, I quickly pass it over to Jean, who's sitting next to Sasha on the opposite side of the table. He's breathing decently heavy out of his mouth, probably burning from the summer heat. "You sure?" I hear Armin ask from the other side of Connie, leaning forward to make eye contact with me.

I nod my head while looking over at him, resting my elbow on the table to prop up my head. A lot of things changed after y/n left. All of us have already graduated from our universities and have actual jobs now.

Sasha ended up transferring to the same university as y/n, but she got her degree earlier, and ended up coming home around a year ago. I don't think y/n ever wants to come back.

I didn't really talk to Sasha while she was gone, since I was too afraid to know anything about y/n. I told everyone to avoid talking about y/n with me if they stayed in contact with her. It just hurt too much.

Sasha and Mikasa don't even live in this town anymore, but we all occasionally hang out to catch up on everything. Once Armin finished studying on the boat, he spent the next three years at a different university, but now he's back home for the summer. Even with the fuck-ton of money that Jean has, he still managed himself pretty well, and now has a decently well-paying job. Connie actually ended up getting recruited for Trost University's basketball team and had all of his tuition paid for.

I still live in the same house and I continued to sell weed for Zeke's business. It's been rough trying to figure out how to live by myself, but I eventually got the hang of it. I didn't realize how much money Zeke actually made from selling, and it's been helping me more than I thought it would.