[17]

Its been a few days,Hershel's alive thank god. Prisoners haven't bothered. Yet.

We were all moving cars, just Carol, Rick, Daryl, T and I. Carol asked about Glenn and Maggie. Daryl hollered up to the gaurd tower and told them to get down there. I looked down and saw the two prisoners. "Rick." I said, touching his arm. He looked over and stopped. It took him a minute before we were all jogging up. Axel began talking about how they couldn't sleep in the cell blocks, because it was haunted. By ghosts.

"Jesus Christ." I mumbled, walking away. I took a stroll down by the fences. There were walkers coming out of the woods a while later so I left. Coming back up to the fencing, Axel and Oscar now in the cage by the front gate. My brows furred together but I shrugged it off."Mercedes. Come with us to get some wood." Glenn said with a small smirk.

"Okay..." I questioned, but still followed the out. Unwinding the wires, we climbed through the fence. We went around, picking up logs."Hey, M. Come here." Rick hollers to me. I walked over and handed my wood to Daryl, and then looked at Rick. "Gotta ask you somethin'." He said.

"Ask away." I said, shaking the leaves that just fallen into my blonde hair that was put in a side braid.

" I'm not doing anything fancy, since we have nothing. But, since you came into my life, it was nothing but bonding and living with eachother. The past few weeks were rough. I know its short and sweet and I'd bet you don't like it, but Mercedes, would you marry me?" Rick asked, holding out these two surprisingly clean diamond engagement and marriage rings. I was taken back, glancing at Daryl and Glenn.

"Rick, its fine. I wouldn't care if it was just a friendship ring for marriage. It's with you. Anything is better with you. So yes." I said softly, letting him slide marriage ring on, and then the engagement ring. He snaked his arms around my waist as I wrapped my arms around his neck, giving him a passionate kiss.

I was leaping for joy as we all walked back to the fences. "Hey, I'm going a head. I need to talk to Carol." I told them. They nodded as I jogged off. A few minutes later, I arrived where Carol and T were. "Hey Carol!" I yelled softly as she got out of the truck. They both turned and looked at me.

"Look!" T hollered. I turned around to see Hershel, Beth, Lori and Carl. Hershel was walking on the crutches. Another smile came to my lips as I walked him. It was so calm. And quiet. Peaceful. I looked down at my rings and then to Hershel. This has been a good day. It all turned bad when Carl yelled,"Walker!" I peered around him to see the walkers.

"God damnit!" I yelled and pulled out my desert eagle. I came up and ran passed them, opening the gate to the stairs."Lori! Carl!" I yelled, motioning them to vome as I shot the two closest walkers. They cam running while Maggie, Beth and Hershel running the other way. Once they were in I closed the gate and ran with them, through the halls. We went everywhere, trying to find our block. Lori stopped and placed her head on the wall. I walked over and put a hand on her shoulder.

"Are you bit?" Carl asked.

"No. I think...the babys coming.." Lori breathed.

"Fuck." I breathed, taking her in my arms as we walked up the hall. It was soon blocked by walkers, so Carl lead us I to a breaker room.

"We need Hershel." Carl whispered, terrified.

"Carl. We are blocked both ways-." I was cut off by Lori screaming.

"Ita coming. Now." She said, breathing heavily.

" Lets get your pants off. Lay down." I said and helped her. She started to push until I felt a liquid, and Lori screamed.

"Lori! Stop! Somethings wrong." I told her, the crimson covering my hand. "Lay down. Now." She did as she was commanded. "I don't see it."I told them looking up.

"You need to cut me open." She told me softly. Tears then welled up in my eyes.

"No. I can't-"

"Mercedes! You need to. Keep the baby alive." She said. I shook my head, looking at Carl. My tears now went down my cheeks.

" I have no supplies and -." I said but then got cut off.

"Carl has a knife." Lori told me. My eyes widened and I shook my head.

"No...."

"Mercedes! You need to...."Lori said. I looked down, Carl slowky giving me the knife. I held it, closing my eyes and letting the tears roll down my face. All these emotions, now coming out. I want to scream and cry. But, I had to hold it in. Carl began to cry to his mom, I felt terrible for him.

"Carl, Dont cry. You are going to beat this world, I know you will. You are smart, and you are strong, and you are so brave, and I love you."she paused." You gotta do what's right. It's so easy to do the wrong thing in this world. So, so, if it feels wrong don't do it, alright?" She paused to brealIf it feels easy don't do it, don't let this world spoil you. You're so good, my sweet boy. Best thing I ever did and I love you, I love you."she began to cry."My sweet, sweet, boy I love you." As she finished, my tears rolled down faster."Mercedes. I need you to step up. Take care of Carl and Rick. Treat this baby like it's your own, alright? And I never hated you. I know I was a bitch, but I never ment it. Alright? Take care of them." She whispered. I brought my head down, and then back up. I nodded and gripped the handle.

"Goodnight, love." She said, starring up at the ceiling.

"I'm so sorry, Lori." I said and placed the knife on the old c-section scar, dragging the blade and letting the blood pour out. I felt lying dying myself. I looked up and Carl screamed at me in slow motion, Lori beside him screaming in pain. My eyes rolled back to my now hands that were red, as I dig for the baby. Finding it, I slowly pulled it out, putting it in my arms.

It wasn't breathing.

I started to pat it gently, soon jumped by the sounds of the cries. Carl gave me his jacket, standing up. He helped me up, even though I was elbows deep in his mothers red blood.

"What do we do with her? We can't leave her here. She'll turn." Carl told me. I went to reach for my gun but Carl stopped me." I'll do it. She's my mom." He told me. I nodded and walked out slowly. Not hearing gunfire, I went back.

Bam.

There it was. I whiped my face, now more of her blood on my face. The baby lying on my chest. Carl came out and walked right past me.

Its always like that.

When you have a good day, it always turns bad..