[29]

mercedes:

I woke up with a major headache. Daryl stood above me, and when he saw I was awake, he scoffed. I slowly stood up and looked him in the eye.

"What the hell, Mercedes! You let that sum bitch go." He said, if he didnt keep his voice down he would be yelling.

"What do you mean?" I asked crossing my arms.

"That Lamson cop! He ran out, and you were unconscious by the window! What ta' hell?" He said, basically screaming in a whisper.

"I have no idea. He tricked me, I see it now. That stupid sun of a bitch!" I said and stabbing my knife into the wall just as Rick showed up.

"Now Ranger Rick's here! Come arrest me, Officer!" I snapped loudly, throwing my hands in the air like most would."I am so fucking stupid!" I shouted.

"Mercedes? What the hell is going on?" Rick asked, patting me on the back.

"I have now idea. No shitting idea." I mumbled, walking away to the nearest pole to bang my head on.

~

I stood there, kneeling on a box and leering through the scope. I saw Rick through the cross hairs and then the cop car. Daryl came up beside me and aimed his as well.

"I'm scared, Daryl." I said, looking above the scope.

"What?" He asked, not looking.

"That we won't get them back." I said, looking around then to Daryl.

"We will, Merc. We will get them back." Daryl said and placed a reassuring hand on my arm. I nodded and peered through the scope. The whole time I was thinking about Carol, wondering if the car hit her so bad it killed her. I hope not. Then I'm going to kill everyone in that hospital, especially Dawn. Hitting Beth too, isn't going to happen. She is my my sister and I can't let her be touched like that. I taught her so much, how to hunt, shoot my crossbow Aubrey now has, to shoot a gun back at the shooting range we set up at the farm. As well as taking care of Judith. She always gave me hope and I promised to keep her safe.

"What are theybtalking about?" I asked, looking at two cops and Rick.

"Shut up, Mercedes. It doesn't matter right now." Daryl hissed.

"What are they planning? An attack on Rick, oh hell no, -"
"Mercedes Maria! Shut ta' hell up!" Daryl said very loudly to me. I rolled my eyes back into the scope. They all were watching a walker.

"I got it." I murmured.

"Okay." Daryl said back. I lined up the cross hairs and pukked the trigger. The bullet silently left the gun, and nailed the walker in the head. I smiled lowly in victory, going back to the cop. He was looking around nervously, while Rick just stood there. I have them scared now. That's all I need. If they go after Rick, their heads fly just as well.

~

Climbing the stairs of the hospital, seriously scared me a little. I was walking up beside Rick, holding a death grip on his hand. He felt it because he looked over at me. To me, right now he looks like a homeless guy you'd see on the streets going "Change? Spare change? Please? Change? " in the darkness of the stairs. We got to double doors that were shut, but peering through you can see cops, Beth and Carol. Beth stood beside a short lady, her hair stiff and back in a low bun. That my must be Dawn. The lady reached up for her shoulder.

"Holster your weapons." She said through the walkie on one of the men that brought us up here. I put my eagle slowly into the holster on my thigh, making sure my knife was in reach. Rick put his python in its holster on his side. We entered together, walking side by side behind the cops. We stopped half way and they kept going. Carol and Beth stood between the cops, Beth smiling.

"They haven't been harmed." Rick said in a loud rough voice.

"Where's Lamson?" She asked, more like a statement.

"Rotters got 'em." Shepherd said not taking her eyes off Dawn and the rest.

"We saw it go down." Licari said, lowly but loud enough.

"I'm sorry to hear that."Dawn said after a dramatic pause." He was one of the good guys." She added. I scoffed silently.

"One of yours, for one of mine." Dawn stated. Rick nodded and grumbled an alright. First Daryl handed Licari to her, and brought back Carol. She was in a wheelchair until she got with us. She stood up gently and threw her arms around me. I teared up for a minute but wiped it away to look back up. I gently walked up to take Ricks place. All the cops eyed me head to toe with a smirk. I told them silently to screw off as Rick came back with Beth. She looked up and smiled, running over and hugging me.

"Mercy." She whispered.

"Hey Bethy." I whispered and let her go back with the others. Rick came over and I stood infront of him, putting my hands on his chest, but looking at Dawn.

"I'm glad we worked this out." Dawn said.

"Yeah.."Rick said with a rough voice. We all turned to leave with Beth and Carol but Dawn spoke again.

"Now I just need Noah....then you can leave."

Both Rick and I turned around, Rick marching to her."That wasn't part of the deal."

"I know. But he was my ward, Beth took his place and she's leaving, I need him back...my offivers put their lives on the line to find him...one of them died..." She said.

"No. He's not coming back."I hissed, stepping in frontof him.

"Hey, it's okay." Noah said, putting a hand on my shoulder. He gave the handgun back to Rick, walking back.

"Noah..."I whispered, walking closer to Rick.

"Wait!" Beth said, running up and hugging him. He said something to her and Dawn watched them.

" I knew you would be back." Dawn whispered, that set Beth off. She walked over, standing in front of her.

"I get it now." She said, I could see her slip a pair of scissors out of her cast. No, Beth. Police have safety vests abd padding under their uniform.

"Beth, n-"

Bam.

The gun rang out, a crimson liquid dotting Rick and I. Wiping it away, Beth slowly fell to the floor, a big bullet wound on the back of her head and blood exploding. She fell, Dawn looked up at us. I bet I looked awful with Beth's blood splattered on my face when I lunged.

"No!" I yelled and broke down into tears.

Rick caught ahold of my waist by wrapping his arm around it, plus another around my waist again. Daryl came up beside us and shot Dawn in the forehead with no hesitation. As she fell beside Beth, I wrapped my arms around his torso and sobbed into his chest. He said something I really didnt pay attention to, I just thought of Maggie. I looked up at the blonde on the floor, sniffing. I walked over and put my hands with hers. Daryl came over and picked her up, the bleeding stopped. I walked back over to Rick, and he out his arm around me. I sighed, hanging my head low.

I hung my head low, but looked up at the rest of the group. Abraham, Maggie, Glenn, Gabriel, Judy, Carl, Michonne, Rosita and Tara all stood around the outside. I looked back down and walked with Rick. The screams of Maggie made me cry more, knowing she saw her dead sister. I looked up to Rick and wrapped my arms around his torso, placing my head on his chest. He wrapped his arms around me and and put his head on the top of my head.

We came to rescue, and failed.