[23]

"Do you think we'll find them again?" I heard Mika speak up behind me. We've all been dragging our feet lately. Its been a few days since we left the prison. Since I left Daryl....Carl.....Rick. I didn't know how to feel, knowing suicide is not the answer right now.

"I honestly don't know, Mika. All you need to do is hope. Hope that everyone's still alive. Don't let it run out." I spoke softly.

"You sound so much like Carol." Lizzie murmured. Carol. It was a good thing she wasn't there. I couldn't bare to see her dead.

"I hope she's alive." Mika murmured as well. Me too I thought, watching Tyreese turn in front of me. Judith was in his tired looking arms, so I took her from him, keeping her by my heart.

It was later at night when we settled down by a log. I leaned up against the tree trunk and placed Judith on my lap. Tyreese handed me a bottle and I fed her. I moved her up in the cradle I had her in with my arms, cooing her softly. I leaned down and placed a kiss softly on her baby soft forehead.

"Don't worry, Judith. We will find your daddy and brother no matter what happens. I will make sure I keep you safe and alive. I don't want you hurt. You are my baby, Lori said to keep you and love you as my own. And I protect my own. Baby, you'll be alright."I soothed softly to her, closing my eyes. When I opened them again, it was to run. As I passed the log, I saw baby bunnies that were all freshly cut up. My eyebrows furred as I walked, wondering what did it.

~

The next morning, we were on the road again. We all slept and Tyreese stayed up. Ty had Judith and was changing her diaper. Something rattled the bus and Mika screamed, running off. My heart pounded as she ran off. Carol's youngest adopted just ran. I told them I would watch them. Keep them safe for Carol. One just ran off.

"Mika!" I yelled, running off close behind her.

"Mercedes!" I heard Ty yell. I had to keep up with Mika. We dashed through the forest until she disappeared from my sight. I came to a clearing and stopped, looking around.

"Mika? Where are you?" I asked in a hushed tone. I heard Ty and Lizzie coming up behind me."Mika. It's Merc." I said again, then added," You're alright. " Ty came up beside me just as Mika came from behind a tree. I ran over to her and embraced her fragile body. "Don't ever do that again, you hear me. It's better to stay in a group with guns and knives then to run with nothing. " I spoke softly, but my voice was rough.

"I'm sorry, Mercedes. I got scared." Mika said in a low voice.

"You should've stayed. With us. Ty and I would've handled it. You don't run off without warning. Walkers could've been in your path and you cou-" I was cut off by screams. My head shot up and looked at Ty." We need to help them." I said.

" I'll go. You stay here." Ty said. I shook my head.

"Mercedes they need a gaurd." He responded to my refusal. I looked over at Lizzie then Mika. I took out my Desert Eagle with my full name Mercedes Elizabeth Dixon scratched on the wooden butt of the gun.

"Take this. Only for protection, okay? Don't fire unless a walker or an unknow comes. We'll be back as soon as we help these people. Both of you stay here abd protect yourselves and Judith. I believe in you." I said and handed it to Mika. She was going to say something but I leaned up and grabbed my butterfly knife that I also engraved vefore looking at Ty. We both took off through the woods, waiting for a sign. At the end of the forest, there was a clearing and a railroad track. Walkers fought with two men but as soon as they saw us all but two came at us. I ran over and put the knife through two walkers heads, turning and kicking the one behind me. I growled and plunged my knife in its head, watching it fall. I looked at Ty as my rapid breathing, wondering how to react.

"Mercedes!" An unknown feminine voice came from behind me. I stepped sideways and looked over, my hair falling rapidly all over my shoulders. There stood Mika and Lizzie then she walked up with Judith.

"Carol!" I whispered, running over and embracing her plus Judy in my hug. I wanted to cry. It's been so long since I've seen her.

"What happened?" She asked and I was going to answer when a joyful but painful laugh comes from behind. A man is on his knees watching us, a huge bite mark on his neck.

"Go. There's a sanctuary. Follow the tracks. That way." He said pointing behind us." You'll see the signs. They'll help you get there." He whispered. I turned to Carol and Ty, wondering. Carol nodded and we started heading that way, the mans cries following me down as I held Rick's baby girl in my arm. I might as well call her mine.

Night approach when we came to an over crossing bridge. Carol told us that she'll watch, so I curled around Judith and kept her warm while we tried to get sleep. Carol and Lizzie's voice carried on throughout half the night but I didn't mind. I was lying there hoping that Rick was alright, wishing I could see his furry, beautiful blue eyed face again. To see Carl. Last, my brother. I would love to see the rest of my family as well to know they are fighters. I would love to see all, but I know Hershel isn't coming back. That's when I fell asleep.