[ 52 ]

I tossed and turned all night. Just thinking about yesterday and just processing it made me hurt inside. I decided that it was time to read Carl's letter. I waited til Rick got up and out before I climbed across the bed and pulled the drawer containing the letters. I pulled the apart one by one til I read my name in his handwriting. I closed the drawer and sat at the end of the bed and gently peeled open the envelope and pulled out the letter, bracing myself for what I'm about to read.

Mercedes,

I don't even know where to begin. You have impacted my life so much in so many ways. No matter how hard it got for all of us, you were always there for Dad and I. I'm so grateful you and your brothers forced your way into our group so long ago, or I wouldn't have gotten the best substitute mom in the world. You cared for Dad and I, and then Judith like we were your own. You made dad happy again, you guys were so happy together. You guys need to stick together. Back when I was little when I said that you and dad would make an awesome couple, you guys didn't disappoint. You guys cared for Judith and I and make sure we were safe. Mercy, you are one of a kind. Help dad through this, I know this wasn't easy for the both of you but you'll be okay. Help him make a new world, one where everyone is happy and not living in fear. I know you can do it Merc. You are always determined and eager to go, and I hope you can help dad and the rest make a better world. Thank you for all of the amazing memories and I hope I didn't disappoint you as your "first" child. I'll make sure to watch over Judith and the one on the way, and of course everyone in our family. Thank you, Mom for loving me unconditionally. You'll forever be the best.

Carl.

Once I finished up reading it, tears fell out of my eyes and down my face as I put it down on my legs. I sniffled a little, wiping away another tear but it was useless because more fell after. Footsteps startled me , and when I looked up Rick was looking back down on the piece of paper. I met his blue eyes and saw them start to water looking at the paper. He then looked at me and placed a hand on my face, wiping away the next tear to fall down my face. I squeezed my eyes shut to get the tears that sat in my eyes. He wrapped his arms around me and I basically just fell into his touch. I stood up so I can embrace him as well for a minute before he backed away and went towards the closet.

"You're going out there." I sniffled, watching him pull out his jacket.

"We need food. I'm gunna find some." He said like he was on edge. My heart dropped just a little bit. He tried to snake around me out I held up a hand and pressed it on his chest.

"What did he write you." I asked softly, making him back away slowly.

"I don't know.I-I can't." He said making me shake my head.

"Wait-" I sighed.

"I can't."

"You have to. I did it to.." I said looking at him as he avoided my eye contact," when it happened to me. You keep moving to move away from it. Andrea stopped me, now I'm stopping you." I said.

Rick tried to back away from me but I grabbed his hands, and the jacket he had.

"Carl wrote that because he wanted you to read it. It was one of the last things he ever did....you're stayin'." I said taking the jacket away from him and folding it across my arm, grabbing my katana and walking out of the room.

Later on that night, I sat down on the steps outside the main house and watched the fires around the path burn. All of a sudden the doors came open and Rick and Morgan appeared after the doors shut, Rick with the same jacket I took from him, walking up passed me, and up into the main house with the slam of a door. I didn't know what to think. He went out after I told him not to, and now he's ignoring me? I sighed and let him be, let him cool off for awhile before I got back up and slowly followed his traces to the bedroom. He got a shower in that time and changed into a new white shirt, and he was leaning on the dresser when I walked in.

"Thank you...I'm sorry." He said taking a deep breath.

"You don't have to be." I said calmly, knowing what he's going through.

"I love you." He said and my heart skipped like the first time he said that to me. It's been a while since he said it, and it made me happy.

"I love you too." I said with a small smile. I knew what he was going to do next so I walked up and placed my hands on his face before reaching up and planting my lips on his for a could of seconds and then pulling away for only our foreheads to be touching. I ran my hand down to his shoulder and then his arm before I let go and then backed away slowly out of the room, to go occupy myself while he read Carl's letter.

After a while, I came back and he sat in the same place I did, with tears falling down. I walked to my side of the bed and crawled across so I sat behind him. I wrapped my arms around his torso and put my face sideways on his back. He put his hands on my arms and we sat like that for a minute before he turned around and climbed into bed and laying down, opening the covers for me. I slide into the covers and wrapped my arms around his torso again, and he wrapped his arms around me. I kissed him on the nose softly, then putting my head down on his chest to fall asleep.

**NOT PROOFREAD**
This was the last chapter I have written so please bare with me as I try to start writing this again to finish it.
Also, would everyone be okay with some time jumping to be able to finish this book? Or at least get me caught up to the last season? Please let me know! :)