THE CAPTAIN

The silent night. The vehicles that crawling on the street were lessened. There were the evening butterflies flying around on the roadside, in front of the cheap hotels and pubs walking around swaying their booties, some are standing and leaning on the walls or the lampposts, offering their service to the men who passed by the pavement and the drivers who driving around the area. The flirting voices and the seducing moves erotically they made to attract the customers.

Between the passer bys, there was a man walking on the pavement. A sling bag crossed over on his chest. He walked pass the prostitution area.

"Hey, Pretty boy! Come and drop here! Let's have some drinks. It's on me!" one of those butterflies talked to the man with a flirting tone.

The man in his 20s only glanced and smiled at her. It became the routine to him whenever he passed by the area.

"I'll give you a free service. You don't need to pay my service at all!" another prostitute seduced him.

The man only waved his hand and nodded as a rejection. Those females only cheered and shouted at the man. They seemed to often teasing him even they know that that man won't take their offers.

The man's name was Xiao Zhan, a man aged 23. He lived in a suburbia near the prostitution area. He worked in a factory not too far from his living area. About two kilometers. He walked there every day. He lived alone in his rented  tiny house in the suburbia. His parents live in the village in Northern of China.

Xiao Zhan kept walking passing the shabby houses and shops. The area over there was silent after he left the prostitution location. The vehicles that pass by the area get lesser, only two or three small trucks or bikes with the long interval. The lighting also getting poor. He took a left turn to get to his house faster. He planned to use an alley between the shabby boarding houses where the walls are dirty and cracks all over it that crawled up by the algae. In this alley was no lighting, only helped by the lampposts from the roadside. When he walked deeper into the alley, he has to turn on his phone's flashlight to help him to pass the alley. He aimed the flashlight o the floor he was step on.

"Please.... Don't kill me...!" 

Suddenly Xiao Zhan heard a wimpered sound from a woman from the other end of the alley. He quickly turned the light off and slowed down his pace. He stepped up slowly and try as silent as he could. He wanted to turn around and run back to the street, but his brain forces him to keep walking closer to the voice.

"Baby... Your life is worthless. You offer your body for a little money..." there was the voice of a man.

"No, no... Please... Let me go. I won't report you. I won't tell anyone. If you're not gonna pay me, it's ok. But, please... Let me go!" the female whimpered.

Xiao Zhan heard the man giggled creepily with a husky voice.

"Do  you expect me to believe you?" he hissed.

"I don't lie! I promise! I will never tell anyone!" cried the female.

"Fine... Of course, you won't..."

Xiao Zhan could see the glimpse of those people. The lights from the roadside helped him to see a little bit clearer as he steps closer to them. He stopped when he almost gasped because he heard the sound of metal being drawn out from its sheath. He felt his heart was going to jump out when he saw the man was holding the female's neck and rubbing the shiny big knife on her face. The female whimpered and shivered as she kept eyeing the knife's movement. And...

"HeLp! Anybody! He-!" the woman screamed, sought for help. But her voice died down when...

SLASH!