51 The Wish

The time was in a wee hour, where the occupants of the cells in an isolated prison mostly are sleeping. The sound of the jail officers' solid shoes' outsoles click clacking on the floor, distracting the prisoners who enjoying their sleep, but most of those prisoners remain silent. if any of them makes a protest, the officers would hit the metal bars with their metal stick that they dragging through the bars to add the noise to the prisoners who mostly filling the death row.

In a small cell located at the end of the hallway, which the light was dimmer compares to the other cells, a man sitting on a small bed with a thin and cold mattress over it. His eyes scanning the brighter hallway where he could see the officers who making the noise were doing the night patrol around the cells. He sat on the bed with both legs hung on the floor. He shifted his sitting position out, so his feet touched the cold floor.  The chain that locked his legs together made the clinking sound whenever he moves.

He stayed in that position until the two officers finally reached his cell. He lowered his gaze to the floor, didn't want to see the officers. Even when one of them hit his cell's metal bars with his stick, he didn't raise his head.

"Wang Sun Er! Do you still act so arrogant even when your death is only counting half of a clock!" one of the officer shouted at the prisoner with a mockery tone.

The man, Wang Sun Er, didn't budge his mocking words. He kept sticking his gaze on the floor.

"Heh! You're not a rich man here, Man! You're just a mortgage's occupant to be! You better pray more, so the death won't be too pain!" the officer scoffed. And once again he hit the metal bars with his stick.

"The Monk who will clean you is coming soon.SO, you better behave!" said the other officer. 

Then the two officers left him alone in his cell.

Only after he heard the sound of the officers' soles fade away, Sun Er raised his head again and gazing on the hallway that started to get empty.

"Hmh," he sounded. And a slight smirk formed on his lips.

4 AM. Two hours after the officers went off the routine, there was another sound of people who walk on the hallway. There was numbers of the sound of the heels hitting on the floor, but doesn't as loud as the earlier. There was another sound of footsteps of someone who walks on the sandals, too.

Sun Er heard the sound,  but he refused to get up from his lying position on the bed. He didn't sleep, though. He was unable to sleep. He lied down pillowed by his arms, looking at the dirty ceiling of the cell. Even when the sound of  a bunch of the keys ringing in his ears, and then followed by the sound of the lock being unlocked,  then the squeak of the metal hinges of the metal bar door being opened, he remained on his position.

"Wang Sun Er! The Monk is here for your cleansing!" A voice echoed inside that small cell room.

Slowly, Sun Er moved his head slightly to the door that blocking the bright light from the hallway. There were four men were standing inside the cell. Two of them were in their police uniform, one was in a casual outfits and another one dressed up in a monk's costume.

The man raised his hand and made a gesture to the men in uniform to get out of the cell and guard at the door that they closed immediately.

"I have nothing to get cleansed from, Chief!" Said Sun Er,.scoffing.

"Tch! Stop being an arrogant brat,.Wang Sun Er. You better pray for your death before God of Death dragging you to the Hell!" Snarled.the man.

Then the man turned to the Monk who holding a wooden mala on his right hand and a wooden fish in his left hand.