28 ERASE THE EVIDENCE

"Uncle Tang?"

Yibo knocked on the door and called the man multiple times, but there is no answer from inside the house. Zhan walked around the house, tried to peek inside the house through t the glass windows. But all the windows were covered by the curtain from inside.

Zhan looked at the surroundings, if there is anyone to ask about the old man whereabout. But the place was very quiet. Uncle Tang's house was the second last house that stands in a row of the complex which the distance was quite far away from the other houses. There was another house before the junction to the hutongs. And it seemed to quiet as well, as if there is no one inside. Zhan would think that the house was abandoned by the owner if he didn't see the little girl near the house.

Speaking about the little girl, Zhan saw her again standing beside the house and looks at them with a mysterious gaze. Zhan looked at the girl. She didn't make a move, only staring at them. Slightly, she moves her head, makes a gesture that she is shaking her head as if she wants to tell Zhan something.

Zhan was taken aback. The girl seemed to want to tell him something

"Captain!" Zhan called Yibo.

Yibo who still knocking on the door, stops. He turned to Zhan and turned his eyes to the object that staring at by Zhan.

"Who is she?" Yibo asked. He turned his gaze to Zhan and walked toward him.

"That's what we ned to find out...." Replied Zhan. Carefully, he walked closer to the girl, afraid she might runs away if he's rushing.

Yibo watched the boy who tries to talk to the girl.

"Hi..." Zhan tried to talk to the girl aa soft as he canl when he's a few steps away from the girl.

The girl looked up at her. Zhan crouched down and squats to her level in front of her.

"My name is Xiao Zhan. What's your name?" Asked Zhan.

The girl only looked at him but didn't reply his question.

"Don't be afraid. I'm not a bad guy. He..." Zhan turned and pointed to Yibo. "Is the police..." He turned back to the girl.

The girl still gazed at him with no sound. But her expression was telling Zhan that she was scared.

"I just want to ask you. Do you know where is the uncle who staying in this house?" Asked Zhan, pointed at the house behind him.

The girl shook her head. Zhan furrowed his brows.

"He's gone," said thr girl with a small voice.

"Gone? Where?" Asked Zhan again.

The girl didn't speak. She only stared at Zhan. This time sparkle of tears glistening inside her dark orbs.

"Where're your parents?" Asked Zhan again.

"Work. In the market. Selling vegetables...." Replied the girl.

"So, who are you with now?" Asked Zhan.

The girl shook her head and speaks, " No one."

"Do you know this uncle who stays in that house?" Asked Zhan again.

"Tang Shushu..." Replied the girl.

"You know him. Do you know where is he?"

"He's gone. This morning people came. They pushed Tang Shushu into the house...." Said the girl.

Zhan turned and looked at Yibo. Yibo curt a a nod, gesturing Zhan to keep go on questioning the little girl.

"Do you know those people?" Asked Zhan.