Sabrina (72)

Author's Note:   Please, please, please manage your expectations my dear.  This chapter probably sucks more than the usual so patience and tolerance please.  

==========

"I shouldn't be doing this. We shouldn't be doing this."

Tinapunan ko ng tingin ang katabi kong si Tita Adina. Kampante lang siyang nakaupo at sumisilip sa tanawing nilalampasan lang namin. Resplendent in an ocean-blue dress, she looked like she has no care in the world. No care at all.

Sinalubong niya rin ang aking tingin at inarkuhan ako ng isang kilay. "It's too late for second thoughts, darling. You're already here."

I heaved a miserable sigh. I am already here, riding a limo to somewhere I do not know, wearing an empire waist evening gown, and sitting beside my stepmother. When she visited me at Arena Blanca two weeks ago, I never pictured myself to be here now. Iba rin naman talaga ang convincing power ng isang Adina Trinidad-del Valle.

"Besides, I've already rolled the dice for you. Let's see what we will get out of this, shall we?"

Mataman ko siyang tinitigan. "What exactly did you do, Tita? Makailang ulit na kitang tinanong pero wala akong matinong sagot na nakukuha mula sa'yo."

"Don't you worry your pretty little mind, Sabrina. Just trust me."

That is so not comforting coming from my father's wife but what else can I do? Just like she said, I am already here.

"This is so not a good idea, Tita. This is practically gatecrashing," I pointed out once more. "I am gatecrashing."

"The invitation says I am to bring a plus one. You are my plus one."

I sighed again and fixed the non-existent wrinkles of my gown to alleviate my anxiety and nervousness. I only had enough time to read the invitation before I was whisked away into the limo. The letter says we are on our way to the Galan Twins birthday party. I don't even know who those people are!

"Hindi ba sila magtataka na hindi si Papa ang kasama mo?" naalala kong itanong na ikinaismid naman niya.

"Oh, that Felicia knows to send a separate invite to your father. How our family is is not exactly state secrets, you know. People talk and others listen. Besides, that Galan matriarch lives for this type of drama. She's going to kiss my feet in thanks for making her party the talk of the town after this."

There is so much wicked glee in her smile na muling bumalik ang lahat ng kabang napakalma ko kani-kanina lang. "Tita, honest to God, you are scaring me."

She waved that statement away with a flick of her elegant hand saka inabot din ang aking kamay at pinisil iyon. "I told you I am going to make you happy. Would it be so bad if I help myself to some entertainment along the way?"

Her soft chuckles turned the wheels in my brain. I stared at her open-mouthed and in horror. "Oh my God, Tita! You didn't," I moaned.

"What?" she asked defensively.

"Mama and Papa are coming, aren't they?"

"Perhaps."

Meaning, they are and she knows it. Oh. My. God.

Another horrifying thought entered my mind. "At ang mga San Martin? Are they coming, too?"

"I hope so. Sa hotel nila gaganapin ang party. Felicia will never slight Ynez like that. That's tantamount to social suicide. The Galans are not wealthy enough to have the guts to do that."

I groaned and I wanted to cry. Gusto kong bumuka ang kalsada at lunukin ng lupa ang Rolls Royce na sinasakyan namin.

"This is a disaster. An absolute disaster." Nahahapong napasandig na lang ako at mariing napapikit. I felt her hand patting mine in consolation.