Oliver (48)

"How come the two of you are here?" I curiously asked Dmitri when I got near him.  I followed him here to the terrace after lunch was done and everyone else went down to the gardens.

As soon as I saw him and Kyrie seated at the table together with my parents and the other visitors I did not know my parents were having, I wanted to ask why they were there.  Hindi nabanggit ni Mom na may mga bisita siya nang tumawag ako kanina bago umalis ng Adriatico. Ang buong akala ko rin ay umuwi na si Kyrie dahil iyon ang paalam niya kanina after having breakfast with us by the poolside.  What happened between the time I last saw them and the time I finally got home?

Hindi ko na nga nagawang magtanong because I got distracted by my mother.  As soon as she saw me, sinugod niya agad ako ng yakap, halik sa magkabilang pisngi, at hinila na nga patungo sa hapag.  That is when I recognized most of the visitors.  Mga amiga ng nanay ko mula sa paborito nitong charity organization kasama ang mga anak ng mga ito.  Dmitri and Kyrie must feel a little out of place among these people.  Though both of them came from prominent families as well, hindi sila taga-Luzon.  They only see these people during some social big events.  Like my family's balls.  

As soon as I was seated, my mother continued lowkey bragging about me in general and the yesterday's finals game in particular.  It would have been pretty embarrassing kung hindi lang kami lahat sanay sa nanay ko.  Unico hijo ako ng aking mga magulang.  My mother is allowed to go a little overboard and crazy over me.  My father and the rest of our visitors just looked on indulgently at my excited mother.

Walang salitang inabot ni Dmitri ang beer-in-can na inilapag ko sa tabi niya.  Binuksan niya iyon at lumagok.  Muli naman niyang ipinatong ang mga braso sa pasamano ng terrace.  He is holding the beer can near the top and just swirled it absentmindedly and continued staring daggers at something down below.  The younger crowd from lunch time is huddled at one part of the garden.    

I followed his gaze and can't help but chuckle as I watch Kyrie work her spell on one of the guys. The poor man is obviously hanging on her every word, panting like a dog. Wala itong kaalam-alam.  All he cares about is that beautiful face smiling seductively at him.  He is in for a mighty smack down if he makes a wrong move. Kyrie is a lunatic reminiscent of her namesake. An alluring siren one moment and a screaming banshee the next. No sane person would tap that. Gaano man nakakagutom ang package. 

"She dragged you here."  I answered my own question.

"You think?" iritado niyang tugon pagkaraan ng ilang minutong katahimikan.  We could here the laughter and giggles from down below.  The louder it gets, the darker the expression on Dmitri's face is.  

"That ass will get his heart eaten by that witch if he doesn't watch it," my team captain growled in irritation.  The two of us can clearly see the hungry and greedy look of the guy facing Kyrie.  Parang wala naman iyon sa babae.

"Paano ka niya nadala dito?" I wanted details.  "Isn't she supposed to be on a plane to Dumaguete right now?"

"Nauto niya akong ihatid siya sa airport.  Halfway there, she called your mom," tinapunan niya ako ng tinging nanunumbat na para bang inutusan ko si Kyrie na tawagan ang nanay ko.  Inarkuhan ko lang siya ng kilay at lumagok na rin ng beer.

He blew a sigh in more irritation bago nagpatuloy, "She 'accidentally' mentioned," he quoted 'accidentally' in the air, "na nandito siya sa Manila at papunta kaming dalawa sa airport."

Ahhh.  I get it now.  Mom invited them and nobody says no to Sra. Ynez Mondragon-San Martin and not feel guilty afterwards.  Smooth, Kyrie,

"You could have said that she has a flight to catch,"  I pointed out.