Oliver (39)

"Come on.  Come on."  

That's the mantra I kept muttering after the ball bounced off my foot after that controlled kick I did.  The rest of my teammates on the the pitch stared at the direction the ball went to -- our rival's penalty box.  At the corner of my eyes, I could see Coach Sevilla standing up with hands buried in his thinning hair while the subs stood beside him, mouths agape with incredulity.

Just then, we all heard the shrill sound of the whistle that marked the end of this year's college football season.  But not a single player on the field moved.  It felt like we were all wrapped inside a timewarp bubble where everything stood still while the rest of the world continued on.  

I glanced at the gigantic scoreboard and watched as the numbers changed from 6-6 to 6-7 but I can't seem to comprehend what it meant.  As the entire stadium seemed to take a second and looked at each other to ask 'Did that go in?', napatingin ako kay Cedric to check kung nananaginip ba ako but the idiotic grin on his face told me that everything is real.  

We won the Finals Cup. 

We fucking won it.  With my last kick. We won.

Fuck-ing un-be-liev-able! 

Elated beyond belief, I threw my head back, puffed my chest out, and roared in  victory.  The stadium roared with me, erupting into the loudest madness imaginable!  Everyone and their brother is jumping and screaming.  Even those from the other side.  

The rest of my teammates run at me screaming with their arms wide open, ready to tumble me to the ground.  Kasama na rin doon si Coach Sevilla.  Natatawa na lang akong naghintay na makalapit sila at hinayaan silang kuyugin ako.

"You brat.  I didn't know you had a hat trick in you, San Martin."  Ang lapad ng pagkakangisi ni Coach sa akin habang napapalakas na din ang pagtambol niya sa likod ko sa sobra nitong excitement.  Thankfully, adrenaline is still coursing through my veins so I can't feel a thing.

We were only given a few more minutes to celebrate as a team on the pitch before we were called to line up in the middle of the field for the requisite handshake with the rival team.  A round of "good game" was exchanged.  

"You got lightning for feet, Eleven," papuri ng defensive midfielder na nakatokang magbantay sa akin habang nakikipagkamay.

"Thanks.  You were sharp tonight, too."

"Nah.  Not sharp enough.  Nakalusot ka, eh.  See you on the pitch next season.  Sisiguraduhin kong kakain ka na noon ng damo."  

"Bring it on."  We exchanged a wide grin before moving down the line.  

Ito ang gusto ko sa soccer.  Madugo man ang naging labanan sa pitch, it was done all in the Spirit of the Game. Walang samaan ng loob. We have played a great, clean match after all. It just so happened that this year, Lady Luck smiled on USJ.

Pagkatapos ng mga pakikipagkamay, agad kaming bumalik sa changing rooms kung  saan excited kaming binati ng mga naghihintay na staff.  Controlled chaos reigned in the room while isa-isa kaming inaabutan ng isang botelya ng chocolate milk. The first time we were served this beverage after a match, we found it weird.  Then, we noticed that our fatigue eased up faster from drinking it compared sa energy drink.  Hindi na namin muli pang kinuwestiyon ang team nutritionist after that.  He is worth his weight in gold after all for concocting miracle recovery snacks like this.

Swigging the chocolate milk in five gulps, I gave the empty bottle to a waiting staff and immediately made my way towards the warm up area to cool down and stretch. In fact, mas nauna na sa akin si Theo doon.  We still got a full night ahead of us and we can't afford to have sore muscles later.  Ako especially.  After ten minutes of that, I hunted one of the medical staff and asked him for a favor.