Chapter Eighteen: Can a schemer have propriety?

Percival Adoff. The fifth capture target.

It really was him! How could I mistake those heterochromatic eyes and that shiny gray hair? After all, only male leads deserve those appearances that can make a maiden's heart go doki-doki. NPCs really have a hard life, huh? Although, I do wonder as to why my brothers are created with looks as if the deities sculpted them by themselves? Could it be that there was a sequel to the game that I did not know?

As I sat down pondering on the floor, I felt a sharp pain on my back that paused my thinking. Dang it! I think I may have bruised my tailbone. I groaned in pain. Was this the payback for saying that this world is too vanilla and lacked suffering? But why the heck am I always the one getting hurt?

"Sh-" I started to curse but I realized that children were listening around me. Propriety calls for me to stay as a respectable adult albeit my current condition. Matthias can curse but he's a weirdo so I will let that pass.

It was Jamie who decided to assist me in standing up. "Marcella, are you okay?"

I accepted his help and slowly stood up, however, even when I was already standing on my own feet, he still didn't let go of me. "Um, Jamie? You could let go now?"

He paused and stared at me for a moment, worry evident on his beautiful face. Hesitantly, he let go but still decided to stick close to me. "I'm just worried you'll fall again."

I smiled at him. "Thanks for your concern-"

BAM!

A loud noise sounded not too far away. I whipped my head towards the disruption and had my eyes widened at the scene. Cedric was currently tackling Percival on the ground like a crazed animal and Matthias had his mana leaking as if he was ready to strike any moment now.

"Percival didn't mean it!" The heroine tried to stop the fight by pounding her little fists on Cedric's back. "Why are you doing this?"

It was probably the female lead's halo that Cedric momentarily stopped fighting and clutched his chest while staring at the girl. He was frozen for a moment before a punch landed on his face sending him sprawling backwards. The heroine had her beautiful almond shaped eyes brimming with tears so . . . shiny? Wait, what? So shiny teardrops are not just like an anime effect? They actually exist?

My eyes were mesmerized at the sight of the shiny tears when I realized that there was a more important matter on hand? What was it again? I looked around and saw a certain dark haired boy being attacked by a wolf boy- WAIT!

As Percival revealed his fangs and was ready to bite Cedric, my instinct kicked up. I was just today years old when I realized that apparently, I may have hero complex. Spurred by an excessive amount of adrenaline and the fear that something irreversible may happen (as much as I hate the royal idiot, I still could not allow him to get hurt; forget about Valentin killing me- I may meet my death in the guillotine for treason), I jumped on my feet and impulsively decided to stop their fight by using my own body as a sandbag. Thus, in that crucial moment, rather than Cedric getting bit, Percival's sharp fangs landed on my shoulder. Reflexively, I kicked him away.

"Holy F-" Although I was in so much pain right now and the fact that swearing loudly would probably make me feel better, I still chose not to. Seriously, what was wrong with me? Did living in this world affect my concepts in life?

"Dammit, that hurts," I groaned. How many times shall I be hurt today? I knew it was a very bad idea to bring these brats with me. Tracing my hands on my throbbing shoulder, I felt warm liquid. I withdrew my hand and stared at it. My gaze landed on my blood covered palm. Ouch! Did he really bite me that hard?