Chapter Thirty-one: How long before the schemer passes out?

"Finally found you."

At this point, I didn't even know whether I was hallucinating or not when I heard Matthias' voice. Needless to say, it was his usual monotone but I was so grateful to hear him. Delusion or not, hearing him now gave me a sense of hope. I could not help but breathe a sigh of relief.

"Matthias? Is that you?" I asked for confirmation.

"Yes."

I scanned my surroundings. There was no sign of another presence near us so how am I hearing him now?

As if noticing my confusion, Matthias spoke. "Your skirt."

"My skirt?"

"Look down."

I slowly looked at my skirt and noticed how the glowing clumps started to shine brighter like tiny stars on fabric. They seemed so familiar until it hit me. These were the floating lights back in the spring soiree! Jamie told me that they were made by Matthias so could that mean that he was communicating with me through these?

"Are you talking to me with these glowing orb things?"

Silence.

Dammit. Did the connection got cut off?

"Luxies." He whispered.

"What?"

"Luxies," he repeated. "Not glowing orb things."

On normal days, I would have facepalmed myself by his inability to read the atmosphere. But now, I could not help myself laughing at his detached notion. Somehow, his usual emotionless voice was the exact comfort I needed to let me know that I was still in the present and that I was still safe.

"Okay," I smiled. "These Luxies, are you talking to me with these?"

"Yes."

"Can you see me with these?"

"I can't." Somehow, his voice sounded a tad bit disappointed. "This was rushed and if only they hadn't made me go to that stupid convention, I would've . . ."

"Hey, hey," Sensing that he was going to spiral, I decided to intervene. "It's alright. The Luxies still work."

"Right. I-"

"Is that her?!" A voice suddenly interfered with Matthias.

"Don't push me, royal brat!" Matthias groaned. Scuffles were heard in the background and the sound of people bickering was quite audible.

The argument was still going in the background when I suddenly heard Jamie. "Marcella. Are you okay?"

"Jamie!" I was relieved to hear another familiar voice. "Yes, I'm fine. Well, mostly."

"Do you know where you are?" He worriedly asked.

"Unfortunately, no," I frowned. "All I could tell is that we are in a moving carriage. There's one window but it's at the top of the carriage and it's barred with steel. I can only see the night sky beyond it."

"Are you-"

Once again, someone cut off the speaker and intervened. Seriously, what is up with this world and why do people keep cutting off conversations?