Chapter Twenty-One: Another headache for the schemer

I raised my head to look at Martinique's direction. She was standing by the door, holding a treat-filled silver tray in her hands. If not for her mentioning that there was someone to see me, I would not have noticed two people behind her back- one seemingly embarrassed but determined, and the other resistant.

The previous bickering was silenced as I beckoned Martinique to let the unexpected guests enter the room. Martinique smoothly stepped out of the way and placed the tray on the nearby table to let them in.

In the most cautious way a person could act, the heroine gingerly stepped inside and dragged the boy by the hand. Her silky chestnut hair was neatly braided on one side and although she looked distressed, she still looked unbelievably beautiful. On the other hand, the boy beside her was sullen and had the look that he seriously did not want to be there.

If I said that the tension was palpable, would that seem cliché? I had no other way to describe it, however, as that was what was actually happening. No side seemed to want to break the silent momentum so in a fit of not wanting to be suffocated any longer, I decided to clear my throat and asked: "Is there anything you would like to say?"

The heroine took that as her cue to speak. "I would like to apologize!"

I was taken aback by her sudden outburst. Nevertheless, I continued to ask. "Apologize for what?"

"I told you, there's nothing we have to apologize for-" Angered, the boy started but was interrupted by the heroine's smack on his shoulder. Yet another thing that surprised me.

"Percival! I told you that you have to be respectful in front of them," She reprimanded. Probably realizing that her decorum was improper, she suddenly looked at me apologetically and bowed her head. "I- I am really sorry for causing you harm."

Someone snorted in contempt beside me. It was Cedric. "You do know that you're not the one who's supposed to be apologizing, right?"

The heroine immediately whimpered at Cedric's voice as she raised her head. It seems as if she just realized that the room was also filled with other high profile individuals. Unlike the first time when she met with Cedric, her face was now pale and she once again bowed so low that she almost looked broken.

"Y-your Highness!" She gasped. "I'm so sorry! I am-"

"As I've said, it's not you who should be sorry." Cedric said.

"It's useless to apologize. Let's just get out of here," Percival shrugged and tried to drag the heroine away.

"Her apology is useless since she's not the one at fault," this time, it was Jamie who spoke up. "As the one at fault, should you not be the one apologizing?"

Percival's face visibly darkened. It was clear that he was very annoyed right now, but to be fair, he did bite me and put me into a coma. Thinking back on the game's set up, I do think that it is indeed in Percival's character to be so stubborn. After all, albeit being younger than the rest of the characters, he was the tallest and had the best athletic abilities. His beast side qualities do indeed give him the advantage. Aside from that, beastfolk in this world are rare and some humans look down on them. As a matter of fact, this was the reason that Percival sticks so much to the heroine who once saved him from being bullied by a group of children back in the heroine's village. After the incident, he felt the rising need to protect and swear loyalty to her for the rest of his life.

"Has she lost a limb?" Percival suddenly asked.

No one answered. Clearly, everyone was baffled at his question.

"Percival . . . " The heroine hurriedly whispered. She tugged at his shirt but he won't budge.

"If my eyes do not deceive me, then I see a perfectly healthy noble brat surrounded by other noble brats who thinks a little bite is already worth fussing over," in a mocking tone, Percival stepped forward. The people by my side stiffened and changed into a defensive stance as if the one in front of them was some last level boss.

Was this boy really younger than the rest of us? His tall physique makes it impossible not to be intimidated, but I still decided to respond to him. "If you are not even going to apologize, why are you even here?"

Percival crossed his arms. "Please, I did not want to go here. I was only dragged here by-"

"What he means to say is that he was embarrassed to go here," the heroine interjected, afraid that Percival would say something rude again. In all honesty, I don't even see the point of stopping him. His hostility towards us was as clear as day.

"Enough with the lies," Percival looked very annoyed at the fact that the heroine kept bowing her head in front of us. "One little bite and they act so exaggeratedly. Nobles are such weak creatures. What next? She suffers a paper cut and then dies-"

I could not even utter another word because someone charged towards the wolf boy and grabbed him by the collar. Contrary to my expectations, it was not Cedric who seemed to be the most hotheaded of them all. Nor was it Matthias who was quite impulsive. It was not even Viveca who was oddly fierce when she wanted to.

It was Jamie, the gentlest of them all, who aggressively attacked Percival. Even when he was a couple of inches shorter, the force that he used did not seem to be minimal making the opponent flinch and take a couple of steps backward. There was commotion in the room as Jamie continued to hold Percival's collar. Obviously, the latter seemed perplexed at the sudden assault but he regained his sense a couple moments later. This time, Percival tried to fight back and he raised his fist to strike at the orange-haired boy.

"Oh my God!" The heroine and Viveca both yelled in unison.

Just as Percival was about to strike, a hand stopped the closed fist midair.

"Now, now, children. I am pretty sure we can talk with our mouths and not our fists," A mellifluous voice spoke. In one smooth move, he separated the two brawling boys as he released a disappointed sigh. "I tried to give you all some space since I expected the lot of you to be mature enough. Ah, I did not really want to be the meddlesome adult."

The sudden intruder scanned the room before settling his ruby red gaze on me. He showed off his signature grin and said, "Ah, sleeping beauty has now awoken."

"Valentin," I muttered.

--

A/N: Hey everyone! This is just a short chapter just to establish how Percival and the heroine's relationship play a part in the story. I was actually going for a totally different direction but felt it was quite off hence, a rude wolf boy is born lmao. I know that the arc is getting dragged but I would just like to properly introduce everyone before getting into my intended drama for this story. By now, I think you are wondering that we are twenty-one chapters in already and we are not even in the drama. Well, to that I say, I am sorry lol. I really just want this story to be a lighthearted fluffy one without angst so it really takes me so long to establish it. Anyhow, I am very open to your constructive criticisms and comments so I may improve upon this story. Let me know your thoughts and I will see you next chapter!

Lovelots.