Chapter Twenty-Seven: The schemer in manipulations and lilies

Ah. Spring soiree. The event that happens once every four years for who knows whatever reason. Let's just say it's this noble academy's Olympics- but instead of sports and medals, you get this big fancy ball and an awful lot of dancing. Okay, maybe Olympics was the wrong analogy but how else am I supposed to justify an event that happens every four years?

In the game, the heroine experiences two spring soirees. The first one being in her second year of being in the academy where all of the capture targets are not that into her at the moment- although if they do get chosen by the heroine, this drastically impacts the turnabouts of the plot.

So, you may be wondering: Well, Marcella, isn't your end goal just to make sure that the heroine ends up in a happily ever after with one of the capture targets? Shouldn't you be happy now that the heroine looks like she has chosen Cedric?

Wonderful observation, dear reader. Let me answer you with three main points.

1. Percival is devastated about the whole thing. And I am too! Have you ever been in a situation where you worked so hard for something but at the end, someone effortlessly walks in and gets all the prize? Because this is what it feels like. A year of trying to get the heroine to notice Percival, only for some dumb brat to selfishly waddle his way in like a common cuckoo stealing nests.

2. Remember how I said that the turnabouts of the plot are affected by which capture target the heroine chooses? Well, let's just say that choosing Cedric now means opening the plotline to a much unwarranted kidnapping scene. Heroine gets kidnapped in place of Cedric yadda yadda Cedric saves her yadda yadda and then they both grow more feelings for each other. If asked, this could possibly be the laziest plot in all of shoujo history. Why do the female leads always have to be saved by some guy? Seriously, where is women empowerment in these stories? Anyway, the kidnapping case is just too stressful for me to deal with. I mean, if Percival's route was picked, then we could've dealt with the plotline about bestial discrimination earlier.

3. Lastly, how am I even sure that Cedric actually feels something for the heroine? How am I to be sure that his feelings are genuine and that him asking out the heroine was actually out of pure intentions? I mean, it could just be because he was mad at me. Am I too conceited to think that? To think that a selfish prince with a history of reckless misdeeds decides to use a girl for revenge?

I do hope that I answered your query. As of now, I am in a state of panic as I paced around my room thinking of a way around this. I really do not want to disappoint Percival after all the effort and sacrifices that he has been through.

"Little miss ought to sit down now or your heels will break," a languid voice in front of me spoke.

I halted my steps and looked at the owner of the voice which was Valentin who was as laidback as ever. His foxy grin and judging eyes gave a subtle giveaway that he had already listened to my thoughts and is now enjoying my anxiety.

"Valentin!" I gasped in surprise as I realized that it has been so long since I have seen him. Was it before or after I fainted in the market? I could not even remember. "Where did you come from?"

"Missed me, didn't you?" Valentin sheepishly grinned and plopped himself on one of my room's settees. "Not to worry, little miss. I was just tying loose ends."

"Hearing that from you makes it seem as if you murdered someone and are trying to cover your tracks," I contemplated and then looked at him suspiciously. "Wait! You did not murder anyone, did you?"

Casually pouring himself a cup of tea that was on the table in front of him, Valentin answered. "Relax. They are just fictional characters, anyway."